Camping areas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
Hi, This will be the second year coming for me and last year I arrived quite late in the day having travelled across the country and kind of rushed in finding a spot for my tent to set up. This year I would ideally like to be more prepared, especially since I have a bigger tent and a 2 kids rather than 1 with me. I need the whole tent up this time rather than just a third of it like last time! I wonder if someone could indicate on a map for me the areas where we are NOT allowed to camp? I've seen on a previous post that we aren't allowed to camp on the National Nature Reserve (sand dunes) but where is the border/cut off point for that please? I'm looking for a large space to put the tent near or in the trees if I can but I can see an open area being more practical. The tent measures 730 x 260cm big I know.
Thanks
Bryony

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
That will be a little difficult Bryony,
If you've been to the site, you'll know the areas that are generally available as well as those areas to avoid (Naughty Corner and road/pathways) so I can only suggest that you keep a few options in mind as you book onto the site and maybe plan to move after you have slept the first night. Although you might be able to enlist the help of people alread pitched to help you get sorted from the start.
The boundary to the dunes is a wire fence, but it is not always in a good state of repair, sometimes barely visible at all - best guess as I say is to keep an open mind and go with the flow.

That sounds like one heck of a tent!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51

ATB

Ogri the trog

Is it single story or two floors as the height of the tree canopy may be a problem in some areas? There is always the main car park by the back gate but nighttime activities can be a little concerning!

On a serious note, your best bet may be on the open grass near the Viking Hut, it is close in but far enough away, over the ridge, from the NC to not get disturbed. :D Depends if you are going to arrive early enough to nab a spot. Do you want me to rope a big enough plot off as a reservation for you?

Further up will be Fraser's, Neil C.'s and my encampment.

Chef

Last edited:

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
Yes, sorry I am talking about the Bushmoot.

The boundary to the dunes is a wire fence, but it is not always in a good state of repair, sometimes barely visible at all - best guess as I say is to keep an open mind and go with the flow.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if there was a marked boundary or not. I did obviously wander about last year and found a large unoccupied spot for a tent but it was very sandy and quite duney so thought it might have been the non camping area. Good to know as long as I keep within the fence I'm ok.
Thank you!

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
Is it single story or two floors as the height of the tree canopy may be a problem in some areas? There is always the main car park by the back gate but nighttime activities can be a little concerning!

On a serious note, your best bet may be on the open grass near the Viking Hut, it is close in but far enough away, over the ridge, from the NC to not get disturbed. :D Depends if you are going to arrive early enough to nab a spot. Do you want me to rope a big enough plot off as a reservation for you?

Further up will be Fraser's, Neil C.'s and my encampment.

Chef

A 2 story tent, now that is an idea! I wonder how that would work... I'll have to get my thinking cap on :D

Around the Viking Hut might well be a good plan

Thanks Chef

Bryony

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've got a 5m bell tent with me this year... not sure where I'm going to put it yet, but I'm sure I'll find a spot :)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I've got a 5m bell tent with me this year... not sure where I'm going to put it yet, but I'm sure I'll find a spot :)

So are you wanting suggests of where to stick it Tim? :rolleyes: I'm serving refried beans this year so I could rope of an area for you but I would advise against having an open fire or any other sources of ignition! :burnout:

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
There are loads of places to put a tent that size both within and outside the trees
Obviously much better to do the reccie during day light hours though!

If you pitch and then decide it's wrong you can always grab a few guys to give you a hand to move

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I'll be there about 2ish on the Tuesday, I hope to find a fair bit of space before I do my leatherworkings. There's a group of us so very kind Phil, I think we're going to hide away from the naughty corner - but I'm going to need a hand getting the beer up to the naughty corner. I'm going to go chat to my local landlord and see if I can borrow another cask temporarily like.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I'll be there about 2ish on the Tuesday, I hope to find a fair bit of space before I do my leatherworkings. There's a group of us so very kind Phil, I think we're going to hide away from the naughty corner - but I'm going to need a hand getting the beer up to the naughty corner. I'm going to go chat to my local landlord and see if I can borrow another cask temporarily like.

I'm guessing it will need to be carefully kept cool. Neil C. is threatening to bring a barrel of that very nice head killer honey mead again amongst other things.

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
We'll be arriving on Tuesday 5th, don't know what time but it was about 7 last time. I have 3 bunny drop offs to do along the way but I hope to arrive earlier.

A 5m bell tent was what I was looking at, they look good but very expensive if you go the canvas route. Love the idea of the ease of set up though!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just to throw a little spanner into the works, please don't camp near the viking hut, we often use this area for long range things like catapults, atlatl, tracking and things like that, it's a nice clear area outside of the normal camping area. Saying that you can go further toward the end of the area (closer to the car park end)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Just to throw a little spanner into the works, please don't camp near the viking hut, we often use this area for long range things like catapults, atlatl, tracking and things like that, it's a nice clear area outside of the normal camping area. Saying that you can go further toward the end of the area (closer to the car park end)

I've got my eye on an area in the woods Tony. I seem to remember a few good areas - just hope I'm early enough to snag one!

We'll be arriving on Tuesday 5th, don't know what time but it was about 7 last time. I have 3 bunny drop offs to do along the way but I hope to arrive earlier.

A 5m bell tent was what I was looking at, they look good but very expensive if you go the canvas route. Love the idea of the ease of set up though!

About £430 for the basic canvas 3m bell delivered. It ought to outlast me :) I doubt I'll bother fitting the stove before winter though. Not enough time between now and the moot.

I'm guessing it will need to be carefully kept cool. Neil C. is threatening to bring a barrel of that very nice head killer honey mead again amongst other things.

Yes, it's going to be tricky! I'm thinking of two planters of water either side and a towel over the top. Was a right pain getting the sediment out of the old cask - it'd been sitting in the car park for about two years and it had really dried on. In the end had to resort to caustic soda to clean it out. I did rinse it out four times before sanitising and filling with beer. It's about 5.6%.

Anyway I don't expect it to last more than a night really - I assume we can drink about 9 gallons in a night? It's only about 72 pints...

I bought a car yesterday and a tow bar to go with it so I can at least drag the beer with me. My plan may be scuppered by a ticking sound coming from the clutch...

Last edited:

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk

Bah Humbug! Thats ok, don't want to get in the way of flying spears and such, we'll find a space. Do you mean the public car park end?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
The viking hut is due south of mod corner, carpark and main parachute. It's in the only big grassy area on site. Usually there's plenty of room to camp on that bit, they just want an area set aside.

Might be worth taping it off Tony

I'd suggest unless you're planning to arrive very late to leave the tent in the car, go for a wander and stake out a good location before dragging your tent over.

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
The viking hut is due south of mod corner, carpark and main parachute. It's in the only big grassy area on site. Usually there's plenty of room to camp on that bit, they just want an area set aside.

Might be worth taping it off Tony

I'd suggest unless you're planning to arrive very late to leave the tent in the car, go for a wander and stake out a good location before dragging your tent over.

It won't be very late in the scheme of things but it will be late for the kids so I'm trying to decide a general area before I arrive as it took a while to set up last time and my eldest boy was asleep before I could prepare food last time! It's going to be a long day. Can't wait though :)

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
No more stress thankfully, we'll be coming down the day before and staying in a hotel locally so we can arrive early and have plenty of time to find a spot :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE