Campfire Trivets

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I had a go with my new (second hand, but new to me) stick welder. I got the wire brush on some old horse shoes I had in the workshop and welded three at a time together to make a campfire trivet. Then I cut some thin round stock and put legs on. This was my first time at welding. Turned out not bad I thought.

sm-trivet4.JPG

sm-trivet1.JPG

sm-trivet2.JPG

sm-trivet3.JPG

Comments as always welcome.

Eric

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Good stuff, a MIG welder ? Maybe put a slight taper on the legs for stability ?

Always best to put more than req'd on then file/grind off the slag. You can then check for porosity. We have a MIG welder at school (work) they wont buy a cannister though, so homers must be done via MMA.

Nick

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Very nice Eric. A nice case or recycled materials being put to good use. Only thing I'd say is the same as SCR and put a slight slant on the legs to allow for better stability

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
No idea how many, but when I worked in B&Q someone came in for some nuts-n-bolts wearing riding britches and had horse poo all over their riding boots, so I asked her if she had any old horse shoes to spare. She came back the following week with a large sack of them for me. I've never counted them to be honest but there's probably enough for a few dozen trivets.

I agree on the legs. Now that I've tried them, I think I'll bend the legs out about an inch and a half.

I was contemplating - for the next batch - to weld nuts to the shoes and then I could screw in some bolts for in use. That would make it more portable for transportation as you could unscrew the legs when finished. I'll have to have a play about with them though as most will be used in a historical context so bolts might not work very well for authenticity.

Eric

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
They're much nicer than the ones that I nicked from a lab that I used to do maintenance in when I was an apprentice. I must look under the pile of cr@p in the shed and find them...

Nice work there, Michael.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Very nice indeed Eric. Great bit of recycling there. You should have a few on your stall at the next meeting. They would also look suberb in front of a log fire holding the teapot.:)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Great little project, Eric.

Yes, a wider "footprint" would help with stability. And you can get some pretty long "carriage bolts". Some varieties only have the last inch threaded, with the rest being just round rod. And they have that domed head on them.

There is a little soft-cover book that was put out by Western Horseman magazine called Horseman's Scrapbook: Helpful Hints for Horsemen by Randy Steffen isbn 0-911647-07-4 published in 1986. It has a lot of "hints" of things to do to re-use horseshoes. Things like hinges, coathooks, andirons, gate latches, etc. Even mailbox stands, boot scrapers, and whole chairs.

Fun little project.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
No idea how many, but when I worked in B&Q someone came in for some nuts-n-bolts wearing riding britches and had horse poo all over their riding boots, so I asked her if she had any old horse shoes to spare. She came back the following week with a large sack of them for me. I've never counted them to be honest but there's probably enough for a few dozen trivets.

I agree on the legs. Now that I've tried them, I think I'll bend the legs out about an inch and a half.

I was contemplating - for the next batch - to weld nuts to the shoes and then I could screw in some bolts for in use. That would make it more portable for transportation as you could unscrew the legs when finished. I'll have to have a play about with them though as most will be used in a historical context so bolts might not work very well for authenticity.

Eric

If you make three "legs"/spikes that you just bang into the ground, each with a little 'U' shaped cup at the top, and then rest the trivet on the top. You could forgo having to weld them, and they would look/be more authentic, Dave Budd had a three corned trivet at the moot, that used the same three spikes hammered into the ground approach,

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
If you make three "legs"/spikes that you just bang into the ground, each with a little 'U' shaped cup at the top, and then rest the trivet on the top. You could forgo having to weld them, and they would look/be more authentic, Dave Budd had a three corned trivet at the moot, that used the same three spikes hammered into the ground approach,

Agreed! And that's perfectly feasible if you are building a fire on the ground. However, I mostly use firetrays raised off the ground to protect the grass, so the spike idea wouldn't work for that.

Eric

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Agreed! And that's perfectly feasible if you are building a fire on the ground. However, I mostly use firetrays raised off the ground to protect the grass, so the spike idea wouldn't work for that.

Eric

It would if you make a longer spike and have a lug part the way down to accomadate the fire tray then the trivet fits over the top

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com

Eric

you still don't have to weld the legs. That's assuming you don't mind foging tennons and riveting the legs to the platform ;) The one mentioned above doesn't have a single weld in it. I made it at shows using the Iron Age forge and it's all rivited together ;)

My trivet was built to fit over my forge at shows, hence the shape and size. I was planning to take a few similar things to teh Gathering with me, but I doubt I'll get the time :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE