Campfire tripod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
After spending the weekend admiring the tripod over the fire, I have found the following link if anyone's interested.

http://www.pans.com/ - Only problem is that they're in the US... lots of pretty cool stuff though.

Anyone do them a little closer to home?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Joe as Roger H (Bison) said if you drop him a line he might be able to get one like mine for you.

Worth a try mate.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
hmmm...

Anyway, trying to drag this back on thread, I just sent an e-mail to Mr. H about the tripod... hopefully I'll hear something in a week or so. I would imagine it'd take a while for the maker to reply and get all the information back.

Cheers

Joe

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Squidders said:
It wasn't yours PW, it was a bottle Shinobi was handing around and I only had a sniff of the stuff... it's evil and should be banned by the UN.

OI, you're asking for a :nono: if you carry on like that !! That stuff is quality four year old Sloe Gin.
It didn't do me any harm, well not until I fell over that is. :shock:

Martin

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Why not check out your local yellow pages for blacksmiths. I'm sure they'll be able to knock you one up cheaply.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'm waiting for a price from Bison and i'm also enquiring tomorrow at a place I know that works with steels... i'm going to see about getting one made in stainless and see how much it's going to be.

If it's worth while financially (much cheaper than I can get commercially) I may get a load done and see if BCUK members want them at cost.

B

Bob Hurley

If you have access to a forge it's little trouble for even a neophyte to bang out a set, unless you're trying to start with a wrought iron billet. In that case, it's just more work, not really more difficult.

A good bushcraft project would be to build a trench forge and make a set yourself. Some steel or iron rod, a big rock, the back of an axe, and a bag of charcoal would be all you need. You could use a couple of friends with blowtubes if you don't normally get enough steady wind to make the trench forge work - I'll bet you can do it over a good hot bed of coals with some windy mates as helpers.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
My farrier built a forge from a 5 gallon can and a handheld blowdryer. You cut a window in the side, fill the bottom with cement, hook up some piping to an additional cutout, fill with charcoal and light it off. I don't know how heavy your billies will be. You should make a 'gonch hook' which is a simple rod with curved tip to manhandle everything. The 'dutch oven' in the online source is the product of a colonial named Paul Revere. Revere added the flanged lid for coals and the three legs. The 'dutch' were actually Pennsylvania germans who used cast ironwear imported from British foundries.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Joe if you need the specs to get one made let me know and when I get back and de-frost from Norway I'll measure mine up for you.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Yours is about 1/4" rod by around 3' (or thereabouts) isn't it Gary? Ends looped, large hoop to hold the thing together, S hook on the large hoop, chain, S hook on the other end.

I think.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
ESpy said:
Yours is about 1/4" rod by around 3' (or thereabouts) isn't it Gary? Ends looped, large hoop to hold the thing together, S hook on the large hoop, chain, S hook on the other end.

I think.

Ya what you said!! :super:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE