Campfire Ham and Cheese.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I just got this in an email from a friend. Looks easy and tasty so I might have to try this. Besides what can go wrong with a hot ham and cheese.?? :)

Camp ham cheese.jpg

Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Serves: 6
Easy pull-apart sandwich cooked on the barbeque or campfire!
Ingredients

1 loaf French or Italian bread
1⁄4 cup butter, softened
1 tbsp. mustard
6 Kraft Cracker Barrel Swiss Cheese slices (I prefer mature Cheddar cheese)
6 slices deli ham

Instructions
1. Cut twelve slices into loaf of bread, stopping about 1⁄4 inch before the bottom.

2. Mix together butter and mustard until combined. Spread every other cut with the butter/mustard mixture.

3. Stuff one slice of cheese and one slice of meat into buttered slices to create six sandwiches.

4. Wrap loaf in large sheet of greased foil to create a foil packet. Place on barbeque or campfire and cook at a
medium heat for about twenty to thirty minutes, turning loaf every five to ten minutes.

5. Carefully open foil packet, pull apart sandwiches and serve.

I'm all for quick, filling, tasty, sarnies in the field (or back garden :))

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So simple it's brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

I think I'm going to have to try it with a bottle of wine.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Nice.

We do something similar with shop bought garlic bread and some nice mushrooms.

The frozen "harvester" type (granary) that Morrisons sell work parcticularly well when semi defrosted :p

as would chorizo, i imagine

(no connection)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Do that with raw potatoes, stopping 1/4" before the bottom, 1/4" thick slices.
Smear the cuts with garlic butter, S&P and bake.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Quick snack version, take a flat bread of some sort, shave some cheese on to it, add ham or salami, fold in half, heat in skillet on fire. Fast and tasty.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Quick snack version, take a flat bread of some sort, shave some cheese on to it, add ham or salami, fold in half, heat in skillet on fire. Fast and tasty.

yep, i do that with tortilla wraps and naan breads. As long as you've got some cheese in there you can just chuck whatever else you've got in and its great

A more bushy version i do is bannock with smash and some ground up parmesan in the middle

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Though not a fan of using tinfoil when away you can do this one in foil or something like a Dutchy.
Get/make an unsliced loaf of bread - something round is easier. Slice off a lid & scoop out most of the innards.
Get a tin of mushroom soup (condensed stuff is best, if you can stll get Campbells ®) Mix in a tin of tuna, some cheese an some of the removed bread. (Plus any leaves, fungi or whatever you've foraged.) You can add some cream if you have it, and any seasoning you may like; smoked paprika is pretty nice.
Put the mix inside the hollowed loaf, pop lix back on and heat through either in foil on the embers or in a pot/oven.
Makes a quick filling tasty meal for a few folk or one or two if you're big chaps.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE