Campfire (Baker) Tent for sale

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Campfire Tent (also known as a Baker Tent), made famous by Bill Mason, seen in Ray Mears programmes whilst canoeing in Canada.

Hand made for me by a professional tent maker at Frost River in the USA (their 3 - 4 person model) and brand new - only put up once in a garden. Made of 100% cotton 'sunforger' canvas with mosquito net door, front canopy and front side walls (rolled back in pictures); this is a very, very well made tent and should last many years. Back wall has a mosquito netted panel for ventilation with a canvas cover which is adjustable from the inside - the canvas cover can be easily raised/lowered according to airflow wanted.

Sleeping area measures approximately 7' x 7', 6'3" high at the door, sloping roof to rear wall of approx 2' (See measurements in 'Song of the Paddle').

Asking £495 Just trying to cover the cost to me, not making any on it, but it would be great if it went to someone who was going to give it the use it deserves.

IMGP0521.jpg

IMGP0529.jpg

IMGP0525.jpg

IMGP0524.jpg

IMGP0523.jpg

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
People have their reasons for selling stuff, usually personal. The guy just wants to sell a tent, if you are interested then make an offer, if not, don't.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I always ask why someone is selling something, nothing wrong with asking it, its not meant to be rude, I`ve never known anyone take offense and for something this fantastic and obviously a lot of money they have spent on it getting it hand made. If somone wants to ask, ask, if not, dont.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
slamdunk,

Didn’t mean offense, its a fairly normal question that I’m amazed anyone gets their knickers in a twist over, especially someone I’m not even asking the question to lol Just haven’t used it, was for a trip that’s not happening anymore, got a better one, just don’t like it, etc etc

Has the canvas been waterproofed at all? Do you think it would take an impregnation?

O

Old Timer

Hi Slamdunk,
How much does the tent weigh, and what is its packed size? :)

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Fallow Way - no offence taken, it's a reasonable question. I ordered the tent back in February and since then discussions with SWMBO have highlighted a potential difference in practical use of this tent with our two small children. It would be great for a family, but probably when the kids are more than 1 and 2 and a half! My own enthusiasm got the better of me when I ordered it and now I don't want to keep it packed up for a few years before it gets any decent use. I tend to tarp & bivi bag when i solo camp so it doesn't really fit what I first intended it for. As they say, we all make mistakes, however well intentioned!

As to proofing it, I'm fairly certain that it is already done as the sunforger canvas they use is both 'water proofed' and treated with a fire retardent I think.

Packed size is 21x14x9 (inches) or 54x36x23 (cm) and the tent itself weighs about 33lbs (measured on bathroom scales so might be a pound or so out either way).

Hope that helps all interested parties. :)

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I apologise to all for jumping in all knicker twisty - it was late, I was tired and I interpreted your post as a bit aggressive Fallow Way - sorry mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE