Campervan living

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I see a lot of bongos for sale,where engine needs replacing,same with the Toyota Previa/lucidas where the heads gone,the engines slung in underneath the seats.they tend to overheat where the heat builds up around them.

The problem with the Bongo is the cooling system was designed by idiots. Any small leak can cause an airlock which rises to the cylinder head of the engine and causes it to crack when it over heats. Only a few garages know how to bleed the system and as it takes 2 or 3 people about an hour to do anyway most don't want to touch them. I've bled mine a few times now (last week the water pump died and the AA brought me home from holiday) and I spent the whole time cursing the person who came up with the system. The real fun begins when you've got a funnel full of near boiling water in your hand and you have to cap the pipe by removing the funnel without letting any air in to the system and without scalding yourself.

Not to mention there's very little information on fixing problems and parts are hard to get hold of and are often expensive. and they rust everywhere...

I still just spent a happy 2 weeks in mine though (not counting the 2 nights at home fixing the water pump).

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
One curious question, those living in vehicles, how do you go about finding somewhere to park up? Round here there has been a crackdown on police on HGV's parking up in laybys and at the side of the road. I'm guessing a law that applies to them also applies to a 3.5t camper?

J

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
One curious question, those living in vehicles, how do you go about finding somewhere to park up? Round here there has been a crackdown on police on HGV's parking up in laybys and at the side of the road. I'm guessing a law that applies to them also applies to a 3.5t camper?

J
If you know an area well enough, you can probably identify many a temporary park up. If your in a strange area. Often a O/S map can identify lanes, isolated tracks, secluded carparks. Often having a vehicle that is clearly not a camper or motorhome allows for stealth parking. No lights shining through windows at night or flickering of a TV. No smoke coming out of the chimney. All make it possible to blend in. Hidden in full view. The Police don't really hassle vehicle dwellers unless someone reports you. Mostly it's just curiosity, drive by and radio in the vehicle registration number tells the Police who they may have lurking on their patch. Councils are slow off the mark, again, complaints and court orders take time to issue.
Arrive late and leave early is a good policy. Some areas have No camping or over night stay notices. Word of mouth between very close traveller friends. Never really advertising these parkups on the Internet for fear of them getting abused by the less caring vehicle dwellers, drug takers and doggers.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
This is something I've been thinking about when I retire. Selling property would give a large lump sum combined with a *decent private pension* would provide spending money, sport centres / youth hostels for showers. Use one of the kids addresses for my 'residence' and spend the rest of my time travelling in a small converted van. I'm sure [as has been said] it's easy enough to get away with steal camper-vaning if your vehicle isn't too obviously a camper van.

* uncertain I know but I've taken the view of living frugally now in the hope I'll have a comfortable retirement - all based on the assumption I'm not going to get run over by a bus or bumped off by the wife :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
The only problem with stealth campervans is that they are often too small for long term comfortable living. I know people who have tried in different models from the old VW splitty to a long wheelbase Transit. They are okay for a summer jolly to the south of France summer hols for say 6 weeks but they are just not up to it kit and space wise to overwinter too. I saw a Dutch couple camped out in a VW in Spain who had built a lean-to against it to afford more room (in summer this was). If I wanted to full time and had the means I would choose France who quite rightly have plenty of places to park up to rest or stay a few days free of charge (one place we stayed was in the mayor's office car park! Completely free and sanctioned with a place to get water too.)

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The only problem with stealth campervans is that they are often too small for long term comfortable living. I know people who have tried in different models from the old VW splitty to a long wheelbase Transit. They are okay for a summer jolly to the south of France summer hols for say 6 weeks but they are just not up to it kit and space wise to overwinter too......

I was thinking the same thing. Fine for a vacation, maybe good for a year or two for a young person, but not really on a permanent basis for somebody in retirement age.

It would be and is possible with a full size RV in a place where the facilities/infrastructure are in place for this lifestyle but evidently that's not the UK.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
All over North America, there are some who like to live in a vehicle the size of a Greyhound bus, and some who don't. I suppose I'd have to try it first. My style is to drive and stay with friends and family in a loop of thousands of miles. Going my own way, I can stay in many, many motels for the capital cost of a useful camper van.

Next week, further east into the Rockies, from Jasper south on the Icefield Parkway, out through Banff to Calgary. Then a loop out to visit the "flat-landers." Then back west by a different route with visiting stops. Need to be home by July 12 for others arriving with a similar "loopy" habit. If I can't make it back, they all know where the keys are.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
All over North America, there are some who like to live in a vehicle the size of a Greyhound bus, and some who don't. I suppose I'd have to try it first. My style is to drive and stay with friends and family in a loop of thousands of miles. Going my own way, I can stay in many, many motels for the capital cost of a useful camper van.....

Yeah, but the cost of the motels isn't the whole story either. You still have to pay the mortgage on the permanent home as well as the cost of eating out every meal.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But what if your family and friends prefer you NOT to staying with them?
A quick visit, a meal, a chat and a drink, then bye-bye?

Staying with them a few days is most often the whole point of this type visit. You can't catch up with family in that short a time; nor with the closer friends I served with.

It all depends on lifestyles, customs & family culture, etc. It also depends largely on just where you are along life's path: it's easier and more expected to visit family alone compared to when you have 3 to 6 kids (in which case you wouldn't be considering a wandering life in a caravan anyway.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A bit late to this party but I've some experience of caravan and camper-van living - not full time, but used when working away from home for extended periods.

As anyone might guess, summers are relatively easy other than sometimes being too warm to sleep well - but it is easy to resort to a tent or hammock at that time of year.

Winter, and the rain & wind associated with spring & autumn are the times when it can get challenging. Your whole approach needs to be aimed towards remaining comfortable in the vehicle - a coat that doesn't hold too much water so you don't need to ventilate the van; shoes (and somewhere to take them off) that doesn't make the floor wet; orientation of the vehicle that doesn't allow too much rain to get in through the door as you get in and out - it all sounds very simple, but get one little thing wrong and you pay dearly for it.

Heating can be awkward if you are limited to one source of fuel; gas can be expensive and causes condensation, paraffin smells and causes condensation, electric heating in the form of elements/radiators or Ebersparcher units are convenient but will eat batteries unless you have access to a site with an electrical hook-up.

I never really enjoyed staying at the side of the road - whilst I was never approached or interfered with, there are too many people who would rev their car engine or toot a horn late at night to allow me to sleep soundly - which led to a very long day in work afterwards.
My current van is more "urban camouflage / builders runabout" than obvious camper, which helped in what I wanted from the whole experience - though the maintenance and upkeep is beginning to get expensive.

Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions, fire away!

ATB

Ogri the trog

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
For older age / retirement I'd envisage using it as a means of transport with occasional overnight usage maybe days to a maximum of a couple of weeks interspersed with visits to family, friends and hotel stops. I'd agree that a small van would not be suitable for longer / full time travelling.

When I was younger walking was a good way to get around but every once in a while [maybe 1 a week or a couple times a month] it's nice to visit civilisation again get clean, fed resupplied etc. Most of my travels have been within Europe so it's easy to dip in and out of towns to do this. I'd hope I'm fit enough to do this later in life but with a van as an extra option and base.

I'm at an age where I still think I'm invincible :) but recognise I'm not as strong / fit / quick I used to be.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You are funny!
I Skype or email.

Skype and email ain't even close to the same. You can't share a home cooked meal with either (especially one cooked over the same old stove in the same old farmhouse where you both grew up) You can't share attending a service in the same old church where you all grew up. A football game at your old high school, etc.

Like I said, it depends VERY MUCH on family culture. A typical family reunion when I was a kid was for all 7 of my grandmother's kids to descend on her farm (complete with a 2 bedroom house with a single bathroom supplemented by a 2 hole outhouse) bringing many their spouses, kids, and some great-grandkids (for a total of about 25 adults and older teenagers plus another dozen younger kids for at least an extended weekend. We filled the bedrooms, the sofa sleeper in the living room, pallet space on the floor, the hayloft in the barn, and tents and campers in the yard.

Now-a-days the norm is close to the same but usually at a state park with a campground (accommodating the RVs) and cabins.

Last edited:

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
My aunt and uncle were sraying there van visiting thier daughter only to be harassed by eastern Europeans with the intent of hyjack.
After police arrived they found a bullet hole in the side of the van.
Theyre in their 70's for christ sake.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i have been living in a lwb transit for two years now, probably the best way of life i can think of for somone in my position.
winter is easy enough to deal with providing you have a well insulated space and woodburner or similar heating unit.
i think my quality of life is higher than it was when i was working to pay for a flat or just squatting in the city.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Bumping up an old thread here but I've recently bought a Mercedes 814 which I'm in the process of converting to a live in truck :D

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
Watching with interest. Our van is too small to live in but a work in progress as a stealth camper. My best discovery so far - magnetic hooks. Strong magnets can hold up a heavy curtain too, though we're now well posh with proper silvery window insulation.

CvntyggWcAAZold.jpg

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I often tell people to remove the flexi strip magnets out of the rubber door seals on old fridge/freezer doors. You can attach all sorts of things to vehicle bodywork with them, as they are Flexi and can be bent in any direction and follow any contour. If you make a sleeve in your curtains they are even easier to use and store. Even attach roof linings to commercial van roofs.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Bumping up an old thread here but I've recently bought a Mercedes 814 which I'm in the process of converting to a live in truck :D

Would be great to see how you do the conversion. Maybe start up a separate thread and upload photos as you go along? Would be interesting to see how you lay it out and the build details :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE