Camper van and paddling in lochs.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I have booked myself 10 days off over easter and pondering over a Scotland trip in the campervan/motorhome with my lad and swmbo. I have access to a large inflatable kayak and have the necessary safety gear from my regular canoeing trips.

I would like to get the best of both worlds and hop around a few campsites along with some peaceful loch side wild camping.

Does anyone know of any Lochs I can park near to (preferably offroad) and launch an inflatable kayak and is suitable for a cheeky overnight stay.
I will have mountain bikes onboard so trails would be great too.

Probably wont get much further north than Inverness.

Thanks

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
East coast or west? Where you coming from? Are you thinking highlands? Only asking as there are regularly folk camped over night in camper vans next to the loch near where I live. Private MSG me and I'll give you more info.

Orric

I hope it comes off Sal as swmbo has thrown a package holiday into the mix in 'ma bore ca' or similar. I would rather boil my head than sit round a pool for a week.

Due to snow blizzards and now forest fires we ended up on ma bore ca. It is a beautiful area and the weather is great. Not a great deal to do really but relaxing.

ze3epebu.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thats certainly the best pic of a desination which appears in a travel guide I've ever seen!

Plenty of time to get to the lochs when the weather is decent... your lovely OH has my sympathies as its snowing here this morning :)

Last edited:
Weather can be a bit hit and miss out there this time of the year, go to the Canary Islands instead, much warmer.

Perfect weather for me Rik. I am a true sun dodger. Anything too hot and I'm indoors with ac on. Just been for a dip in the outdoor pool then a nice soak in the jacuzzi then back in the outdoor pool. There is only me and my lad swimming outside.:D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

May 22, 2013
Ayr
Hi Bodge,

Did you ever suss out locations to go? I'm hoping to do the exact same trip with my camper and also inflatable kayak but in June or July. Ideal area would be the North West of Scotland.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
Richie

Dec 18, 2010
bristol
lock Maree Good Parking Camping spot off A832 (about a mile before road turns away from the Lock travelling west) RH side. Lots of islands . I have camped on a Couple. there is an old grave yard on one - Beautiful. but you are likely to be the only red blooded food Source for Miles So make Sure you take a mosquito net. l use a big square one that hangs under my tarp creating a big midge free area that I can cook eat and sleep in (make sure the Mesh is the smallest Possible the Schottish midge Will get though nets for foreign places. have fun

May 22, 2013
Ayr
Thanks Steve,

Just looked it up on Wikipedia - I'd never heard of it before but it looks excellent. Nets sound a necessity. Still a few weeks before I go but a bit of planning ahead.

Cheers
Richie

Elen Sentier

lock Maree Good Parking Camping spot off A832 (about a mile before road turns away from the Lock travelling west) RH side. Lots of islands . I have camped on a Couple. there is an old grave yard on one - Beautiful. but you are likely to be the only red blooded food Source for Miles So make Sure you take a mosquito net. l use a big square one that hangs under my tarp creating a big midge free area that I can cook eat and sleep in (make sure the Mesh is the smallest Possible the Schottish midge Will get though nets for foreign places. have fun

If you have the time to get up further try Assynt ... similar midge advice!

May 22, 2013
Ayr
And thank you too Elen, Sad to say being a Scottish lowlander I've never ventured that far North before, Inverness and Loch Ness has been my previous limit. Looking forward to a wee trip North!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE