camp smock/poncho

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I had just looked up and noticed a pair of golden eagles up in the glen, when Phil snapped the picture, though it does look like someone trying to be "ruggedly interesting".
I have been very pleased with the garment tho, designed as a bushcraft winter smock and not a technical backpacking piece of kit (actually designed to "better" the Swanndri Hooded Bushshirt), I was'nt sure how it would work in the mountains and a New Year trip to the Knoydart seemed like a really good oppatunity to put it to the test.
Neil

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Crikey, this takes me back when I was in Scouts this was a standard bit of kit.

It was known as a 'camp blanket'. We used to use an old rectangular wool blanket, and cut a cross slit in the middle (but leave the material there rather than leave a hole)

Versatile item, great for when you need a bit of extra warmth at night (throw it over your sleeping bag), and stick it over you when you're sat round the fire, either belted or stick your arms inside and drape it over your legs...

It was also the done thing to sew all your badges to it as well, so it would be a replica of your shirt. Some lads used to attach a neckerchief to it as well, so people could see what troop you were from at District / County camps or jamborees.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
Crikey, this takes me back when I was in Scouts this was a standard bit of kit.

It was known as a 'camp blanket'. We used to use an old rectangular wool blanket, and cut a cross slit in the middle (but leave the material there rather than leave a hole)

Versatile item, great for when you need a bit of extra warmth at night (throw it over your sleeping bag), and stick it over you when you're sat round the fire, either belted or stick your arms inside and drape it over your legs...

It was also the done thing to sew all your badges to it as well, so it would be a replica of your shirt. Some lads used to attach a neckerchief to it as well, so people could see what troop you were from at District / County camps or jamborees.

i still have my old camp blanket in the loft still got all my camp badages on it.:lmao:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Was never a scout , but the blankets always seemed to good to be used as just a campfire item.
The mountainmen saw there true value. Having used good woollen based kit for many years I can see why. Its not only how they behave around fires, its a whole different experience.
Smartwool is now being pushed, but if you go the whole hog and go for natural fibres all out - you will notice the difference - big time.
Neil

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
but if you go the whole hog and go for natural fibres all out - you will notice the difference - big time.
Neil

Especially the weight, when carrying it around:yuck:
Much as I love my underwear made of meriono wool and like to wear woolen swaeters, my all-plastic-fantastic poncho liner is the only one I would like to lug around:rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you wear wool, you won't feel much difference in the weight after a while. i wear woolen tops a lot of the time now, it's warmer and tougher.

I think I've made a mistake in doing the same this last winter Spam.
I tried wearing a poly-cotton jumper the other day and it felt clammy within minutes - I guess my perceptions of clothing have changed, expecting everything to be airy and warm at the same time.

ATB

Ogri the trog

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Neil1, did you use a special pattern for this one?
Spamel, wearing wool is one thing, I do that outside work all the time. At work I wear 100weight fleece and sell the stuff. But there is a so much better "feeling" or "microclimate", however you want to say, when wearing wool!!
Still, such a blanket is HEAVY!!!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Its my own pattern, my ventile smocks are made on the same one so that my clothing all fits together as a system.
I have found that wool is far better at regulating body tempareture, I used synthetics for years and found myself overheating alot (smelling quite bad too!)
Yes blanket smocks are heavy, but you can pull it on at the begining of the day and leave it on, unless you have very big hills to walk up, but for time in the woods its unbeatable. I have just been out for three days, with plenty of rain and worn it almost continually (Sundays weather required my single layer ventile smock over the top) but I was comfortable the whole time.
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE