Camp oven/box oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
I'm looking to make an oven for use with an open fire. To make the oven I have some offcuts from cooker hoods. The metal is U shaped, roughly 250mm (10") across the bottom and 200mm (8") high on either side.
I was unsure of a several design features, how useful/essential they are and the best way to incorporate them into the design.

1. A door would be useful but would side access or top access be better?
2. Is the box placed over the fire or do I make a plate to put the embers on.
3. How easy would it be to make the box colapsible
4. Are any ventilation holes required?
5. What size would be ample?

Any thoughts on these, or has anyone made one?

Cheers.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used a deep biscuit tin as an oven - on its side, so a side door (lid with a wire handle), no ventilation holes - but the lid was a loose fit and the handle holes over big), stones in the base to support the baking tray (mess tin). The tin was placed in the embers and coals piled around it on the sides and back.
OK results.
I dont know about collapsible.....but the tin acted as a cook gear storage box until it burned out at the seams so was worth its bulk.
I have seen metal dustbins used like this as well.
I have also baked cakes in a cardboard box...
Line the box with cooking foil, push 2 metal rods through the box about 2/3 of the way up the sides to act as supports for the cake tin, put a good layer of glowing charcoal in the bottom of the box, cake mix in a cake tin on the supports, layer of foil across the top close the box.
Leave for a longer time than you might think (basically until the charcoal is dead and the box cooling) and - ta da - the cake is baked!
The box was later used as fire lighting material.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
I have seen the cardoard ovens but I was looking to make something a little more robust and permanent.
I guess the coals would have to be a reasonable distance from the baking tray to prevent the food from burning on the bottom. Thinking about it, having a base to place the coals on allows the oven to be used somewhere that fires aren't allowed on the ground.
I was going to try to make the oven colapsible but I don't think I will bother. It will be too much hassle for now. Maybe next time.
Now to think of some designs....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE