Camp axe

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I wouldn't mind getting a hand axe or hatchet for some camping stuff, light splitting, light limbing, roughing out shapes for carving, hammering pegs etc.

I've used axes before and have a maul for firewood but i don't have a clue as to what the different head shapes are for eg Kent pattern axes etc what shape of head is best suited to the tasks i want it for?

I'm heading to a car boot sale tomorrow to try and find a good un.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Don't know much about axes I'm afraid, as I've always used the large MoD knife. But I have just been given a very beaten up Kent pattern. Took quite a bit of work to sharpen it up, but now I have it cuts really well. I think as long as it's a decent axe it'll do the job.

Good luck finding something

Mat

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I got two axes :D both are in horrific condition, someone tried fitting new handles on em and made a mess of it, there blunt as a blunt thing but the heads are in good condition under the rust so i bought the two of em for the princely sum of 50p with a pair of ******* files thrown in :D.

One is a Granfor bruks and the other is made by Gilpin which are well regarded, i think :D

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I got two axes :D both are in horrific condition, someone tried fitting new handles on em and made a mess of it, there blunt as a blunt thing but the heads are in good condition under the rust so i bought the two of em for the princely sum of 50p with a pair of ******* files thrown in :D.

One is a Granfor bruks and the other is made by Gilpin which are well regarded, i think :D

You got a Gransfor Bruks for 50p? Get thee to ebay my friend!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What you mean?

It's an old one and a different shape to the newer models, needs rehandled and head reshaped and sharpened but thats where the fun lies :D

Even so, the GB brand will net you a fair bit of profit on your 50p investment. Give it a soak in vinegar, a scrub with wire wool and a new handle and I bet you'll make a tidy sum.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Even so, the GB brand will net you a fair bit of profit on your 50p investment. Give it a soak in vinegar, a scrub with wire wool and a new handle and I bet you'll make a tidy sum.

Both are currently soaking in vinegar :D

I'm going to get them back to great condition and after reading bout the makers it seems they'll be good axes :D going to keep the GB and give the Gilpin to my dad for christmas once there back in condition.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Both are currently soaking in vinegar :D

I'm going to get them back to great condition and after reading bout the makers it seems they'll be good axes :D going to keep the GB and give the Gilpin to my dad for christmas once there back in condition.

Share some photos please? - Before and after would be good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE