Cammo or just subdued colours?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A recent thread asking for tent recommendations in cammo made me wonder if for camping whether cammo is really more stealthy? I have never had anything in cammo apart from when I was very young I had a cammo sun hat and a commando dressing up kit (WWII version with those canvas gaiter things). Well boys do like to play soldiers don't we!!

Anyway I have always bought green tents and tarps. Not for being stealthy but they were the colours I preferred. Although it was also the colour that was available in the tent model I wanted so I also had no choice occasionally. I have pitched up at popular wildcamping spots and gone for a wander only to have trouble finding the green tent. I seriously doubt that it would be harder to find in cammo. The other problem is in cammo you tend to look a bit like a soldier wannabe (I think they are called Walts but could be wrong with that). If like me you also occasionally use camp sites then cammo doesn't look right there somehow.

My question is, why get cammo when plain green will work well enough in situations requiring stealth yet is better in more public places too?

This question works not just for tents and other shelters but also packs and clothing too. I understand that with some outdoors activities then perhaps cammo might help such as hunting or nature watching but for general outdoors I'm not convinced personally.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
My cammo was all free when I finished in the Military; so I still use it. Seems a waste to me not too, I have enough to start a small coup avatar4480_1.gif

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
My cammo was all free when I finished in the Military; so I still use it. Seems a waste to me not too, I have enough to start a small coup View attachment 6840

:rolleyes: Ahem, same here:D hahaha though buying stuff I go green, but not worried abut using camo kit its just a colour\pattern, I have bright orange tent for hills and stuff two, seem sensible to have a bright shelter in places I may need to get noticed,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Natural colours covers a heck of a range....

natural_dyes.jpg

natural_dyes2.jpg

natural_dyes4.jpg

Those hoops are natural dyes on wool, all native plants and nothing hard to achieve.

Why do Scots wear tartan ?
'cause they cannae make up their minds what colour to wear :D
Seriously, tartan of any colour disappears on the hills, it just blends right in :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I was only in the army for 1 month ( health) so don't have any of the kit except for some trouser which are DPM i wear them sometimes because i have them basically.

Personally i don't mind the odd bit of camo but when i see folk camping in full miltary gear with webbing and bergen all in DPM seems completely wrong to me.

Each to there own though.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I was only in the army for 1 month ( health) so don't have any of the kit except for some trouser which are DPM i wear them sometimes because i have them basically.

Personally i don't mind the odd bit of camo but when i see folk camping in full miltary gear with webbing and bergen all in DPM seems completely wrong to me.

Each to there own though.

Thats the RAF Dude!:p

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
SWMBO won't let me buy "proper" clothes without her as: (her words) "there are other colours than brown and green!" Guilty as charged - don't have much cammo but subdued browns and greens by the wardrobefull.

Last edited:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I tend to stick with subdued browns, greens and associated tones as i like not to stand out too much or distract from the natural environment and more to the point it matches my eyes!

Cheers
Louis

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
The only camo i wear are trousers as they are cheap and comfy , other outdoor clothing i go for greens or black will do till they come up with something darker !

Craig...........

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I like wearing subdued colours, not just out in the woods, but think brighter colours on the hills and rivers are safer. No cammo for me as I was never in the army and would feel a fraud wearing it.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I wear browns & greens as I think bright colours look a bit offensive to the eye in woodland. Wouldn't be too averse to some camouflage but as has been mentioned, don't want to look like some right wing survivalist!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Army surplus DPM gear is both cheap & rugged, 2 good reasons for using it..... I'm not a fan ( though I do have a faded DPM bergen & love it) ) but have nothing against it for other people, it's just not for me................But I am partial to a bit of flecktarn.
Green tent & sleeping bag, earth colours for clothing.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I think if you are stalking or hunting then camo is appropriate, but otherwise it can draw the wrong kind of attention. In many places in the world, camo would id you as someone who is probably armed, which can get you shot or shot at. Probably no risk of that in the UK, but it could flag you as someone who would like to be armed, and that could create a bad impression or worse. Subdued civilian colours are less threatening, less intimidating and altogether less noticeable anywhere other than Epping forest.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The only time I wear camo is when shooting and occasionally when fishing.
Most of the time I just wear subdued greens and browns.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
I tend to only wear olive, black, or browns when out and about. I try to avoid camo (especially british) as I don't want to attract attention to myself.

SWMBO won't let me buy "proper" clothes without her as: (her words) "there are other colours than brown and green!" Guilty as charged - don't have much cammo but subdued browns and greens b the wardrobefull.

that sounds very familier
if i buy camo it tends not to be british camo patterns purely cause i can buy alternatives and flecktarn etc looks more interesting

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I think for a tent OG is fine for low impact camping... If you want to camo that get some Scrim net from the suplus store or chuck a DPM basha over the top. For 99.9% of Bushcraft stuff. A solid subdued colour is fine. What 'gives you away' mostly is movement and noise.

Anyhow I own a couple of bits of camo kit. A Lowe Alpine Rucksack in DPM and a pair of DDPM waterproof trousers I got from Twodogs. I'm not sure if either make me a 'nut job' Or wannabe soldier/ walt. The rest of my kit is in an eclectic mix of colours from Alpine Orange to OG.

While I think it's true to say if you go to some places on the globe wearing camo kit you might be in for trouble. If for example 10 'Bushcrafters' rocked up for a holiday say in the Congo with DPM jungle shirts and DPM/OG bergens and a belt full of kit than prepare for a bit of a Q+A session with the local authorities. How common that or similar scenarios might be for the average BCUK subscriber I dont know. Looking at the threads on 'Out and about' possibly not that often:rolleyes:.

A lot of other places just dont care. It's pretty common to see folks wandering around here in NZ with all sort of camo kit on. A lot of it in Civvy camo patterns on hunting jackets etc. No one bats an eyelid. It's also pretty common to be tramping and meet folks with an array of firearms. But NZ has a far higher population per capita of recreational hunters than the UK I suppose. So the acceptance level is higher. Although you cannot shoot at the local pistol club if you wear camo. The combination of camo jacket and Glock is not a happy one.

The only time I've seen someone in camo here in NZ and thought it was strange was last weekend.I took My 8 yo son to get an airfix kit he'd saved up for and there was a bloke in the model shop with full DPM's on buying a heap of 1:72 scale soldiers. I thought that was a bit odd.

Anyhow I suppose if common sense is applied then all will be ok.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE