cambridge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
hi fellas just moved to cambridge and i am looking for any surplus shops/scrafty shops in or around as i havent a clue yet of the place. atb paul

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum, pop over the intro's page and tell us all a bit about yourself!!
If you go down Regent street in cambridge there is a shop next to the Weatherspoons pub.
I think its called the army navy shop.
The gear is pretty good but in my opinion quite expensive.
To my knowledge its the only 1 as the other on Mill Road isnt there anymore.

All the best
Steve

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
cheers jacko i will go check it out tommoro. i have been on here since 2007 but not done much sadley as im a mod on another site but i will pull my finger out.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
cheers jacko i will go check it out tommoro. i have been on here since 2007 but not done much sadley as im a mod on another site but i will pull my finger out.

Lol, oh yes, having just seen your joining date you have been on here way longer than me :eek:

I lived in Cambridge for 21 years, all my life till I moved out to March, there are some cracking little places to go.
Wandleberry woods, the spinney, a place on Barnwell road that I called chalk hill when I was a kid but cant rememeber the right name now but it has a nature reserve so a quick google should find it.

On another note I see your a member of the Essex outbacks, I subscribe on Youtube to the guy who makes the vids of your meets, looks like you have agreat time mate.

All the best
Steve

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
The Regent St. shop is tiny and pricey but not bad.
There is a sort of Cash Converters/ pawn shop on Mill Rd. that I've seen stock the odd bergen along with air rifles and such.
Also, I remember passing surplus shop near the station in Bishop Stortford, I don't know if it is still trading though.
Good luck in Cambridge, it's a lovely town to live in.
Happy trails...torc.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Paul,

I'm afraid for surplus it's just the store next to weatherspoons. Mackays on East Road stock Hultafors knives, bahco saws , axe handles etc, and there is the wildwoods bushcraft store over in Bedford if you can get there.

Dave

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
The Regent St. shop is tiny and pricey but not bad.
There is a sort of Cash Converters/ pawn shop on Mill Rd. that I've seen stock the odd bergen along with air rifles and such.
Also, I remember passing surplus shop near the station in Bishop Stortford, I don't know if it is still trading though.
Good luck in Cambridge, it's a lovely town to live in.
Happy trails...torc.

Interesting, Im a train driver for Greater Anglia so spend a fair bit of time in Bishops Strortford, where exactly is the the surplus shop please?
Cheers
Steve

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Keep an eye on the charity shops too. The British Antarctic Survey is based on the outskirts of Cambridge, so some serious cold weather gear might turn up now and then.

The Army and Navy store is still going? That's brilliant. I used to use it all the time when I was a cadet, and that was 15-20yrs ago.

I'm originally from Cambridge/Newmarket but now up in Lincoln.

Thanks fro posting the places, the boy and I will have a look next time we're at many parents

Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
The Army and Navy store is still going? That's brilliant. I used to use it all the time when I was a cadet, and that was 15-20yrs ago.

I'm originally from Cambridge/Newmarket but now up in Lincoln.

Thanks fro posting the places, the boy and I will have a look next time we're at many parents

Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I no what you mean mate, iv been going in there for years!!!

Its been there as long as I can remember!!
Owned by the same family too!!

When I was speaking to the young lad working in there he was saying that they do 90% of there business online now!!

Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Cambridge resale also on mill road are a dealer for smk air rifles so have a fair amount of air rifle stuff scopes torches etc.

Also sell a few knives and stuff too!!

Cheers
Steve

Jun 12, 2005
Cambridge
Keep an eye on the charity shops too. The British Antarctic Survey is based on the outskirts of Cambridge, so some serious cold weather gear might turn up now and then.

BAS equipment usually ends up in the Salvation Army shop on Mill Road. I've had some good hard-wearing stuff from them like ski goggles and clothes; sometimes they sell off boots and sleeping bags too.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
BAS equipment usually ends up in the Salvation Army shop on Mill Road. I've had some good hard-wearing stuff from them like ski goggles and clothes; sometimes they sell off boots and sleeping bags too.

That's a great tip!!
Cheers for letting us no, I will pop down there next time I have a break in Cambridge!!

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I'm sorry to hear about the Bishop Stortford shop, it's still listed by Google for http://www.essexsurplus.com/.
It was just over the river towards the town centre, I looked in a few times while layovered on CBG to SSD.
The Mill Rd. Salvation Army shop is well worth keeping an eye on, they sometimes have some good s/h BAS and outdoor kit.
I've seen http://www.cambridgeresale.co.uk/ on Mill Rd. sell b/n issue bergens, but like all such shops it's pot luck.
Happy trails...torc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE