Calvin Rutstrum and Zebra Billy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I posted this over at BB and did most of my blathering about Martyn's new stove and billy over there, but I thought you might want to see this old quote from Calvin also......

Martyn’s ClikStove and 12cm Billy combination reminded me of this passage from Calvin Rutstrum’s first book published in 1946. This passage was edited out of the 1952 second edition of this text and the mass market rewrite The New Way of the Wilderness, in 1958. He completely dropped the steamer/colander tray approach…why I do not know.

The Zebra billy with that steamer tray makes a simplified rendition of Calvin’s cooking style a reality. If I could get a 14cm billy with 2 steamer trays I would colandarize one of them and be completely set I think.

Anyway enjoy this old quote from Calvin…..

Way of the Wilderness, 1946
Calvin Rutstrum

Page 121

Cooking utensils designed for the wilderness are simple aluminum pails huong over an open fire. While the recipes are in keeping with the use of such utensils, the writer has found that the difficulty experienced by most people in outdoor cooking over an open fire, is the matter of heat control. Much has been said and written about cooking over a bed of coals and other parade-ground activity; but the wilderness traveler coming off the trail, wants his supper as soon as it can be prepared. That supper goes on the kindled fire without ado or ceremony in woodcraft. Also he has not the time to sit and watch the food cook. There is much work to be done while his supper is cooking.

A “one-two-three” method I have developed of getting a meal prepared with speed, variety to the food, yet safety in heat control, is to cook most items by steam. For this purpose I utilize the largest cooking pail and cover in the following manner: a colander and a flat mixing pan, each with a double bail, are suspended on a hook, riveted to the underside of the large cooking pail cover. The downward pull on the cover caused by the weight of the pans and the food, creates steam pressure, thus speeding up the cooking time considerably.

Two compartments are provided in this manner in one pail for cooking foods. This can ever be increased to four compartments by placing an aluminum cook-kit bowl in the colander and in the flat mixing pan. The space around the bowls is still ample for dehydrated vegetables, while puddings, dried fruits and such items can be cooked in the bowls.

As will have been noted, this reduces the number of cooking pails, allows as much variety as desired in on meal, and makes it possible to cook a full meal in one pail. Moreover, cooking is rapid. Nothing burns. Nothing boils over. Nothing need be watched constantly. With the reflector oven placed near the fire where both meat and biscuits can be baked at the same time in the two halves of the reflector pan, only an occasional peek need be taken and a stick of wood put on the fire, while the supper is cooking. Tents are pitched. Night wood is hustled. A little fishing is done. Things are mended. The cooking goes on merrily.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
When commenting about the annual parade of revolutionary "breakthroughs" in engine design advertised by the car and motorcycle manufacturers, my dad often observed that "there's nothing new under the sun" and dragged out a fifty year old example to show how someone had not only invented but built it.

This is another great reminder that there is plenty of wisdom to be found by reading back through the archives.

Thanks Schwert :biggthump

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Calvin actually described this steamer approach in both editions of "Way of the Wilderness" but did not carry this forward to the 1958 "New Way of the Wilderness" I had though it was only in the 1946 edition but confirmed that the 1952/53 edtion also retained the method.

It is funny how old texts seem so out of date with a first glance, but careful reads can glean plently of bits that are in many ways superior operations to more modern books.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE