Calling bodgers! !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
As some of you may know I've recently got my hands on an el well bilhook. The handle needs replacing and me being me fancy a go at making one. Now I've got some ash in the log pile but I'm not sure how long it's been seasoning for.
I'm guessing you would test it with a moisture meter to see what water content it has?? If I'm right on this what sort of readings should I get to make it suitable for making into a handle?
Muchos dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Rough it out to near the size you ant to end up with then store in a dry room inside the house. Couple of weeks at most it will be dry.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Rough it out to near the size you ant to end up with then store in a dry room inside the house. Couple of weeks at most it will be dry.

Exactly that - if you make it from a half or quarter log it won't take long to dry out enough. It doesn't have to be 100% dry
in any case, as if it's still got a little shrinkage left in it it'll tighten down nicely onto the tang; this is a very good skill to learn in general as knowing the right moment to use different timbers at different stages of seasoning is a great skill to
have. From simple stools to sophisticated carriage wheels this skill was used to great effect to make bomb-proof joints.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE