Calling all wine drinkers

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Here is an odd request.

What I am looking for is a stainless steel drink flask of about 750ml.

You see I like to take a good bottle of wine with me to enjoy on a bushcraft weekend. Up till now I have always carried it in the glass bottle. Both heavy and breakable.

It strikes me that there is a gap in the market here. Try as I might I cannot find a decent flask that I could decant a bottle into to take with me.

Does anyone know of a good solution to this problem?

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I've always used a thermos - if you get it to the right temperature before you leave then it stays that way. It won't get boiled in the back of your rucksack on a reeeally hot day!

You can get a pretty lightweight thermos now with a shoulder strap as well, so weight isn't that much of a concern with thermos flasks anymore.

Hope that helps,

Jake.

M

magicaltrevor

After many years of deciding on the most suitable drink for an evening bushcrafting. I decided on the following:

A nice half size bottle of Port! It takes half the room of a bottle of wine, twice the strength, just as tasty, and you can recork the top as it doesn't require a corkscrew (an extra item to take/forget!). Also a half bottle of Port gets you just merry enough to still know what your doing.
And then to solve your problem, you don't have the problem of finding a suitably large decanter as a Sigg bottle will do the trick.
I tend to just drink straight from the bottle which is little uncouth, but hey I'm in the woods!

Yes, yes, I've put a lot of thought into it! :D

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
magicaltrevor said:
After many years of deciding on the most suitable drink for an evening bushcrafting. I decided on the following:

A nice half size bottle of Port! .........Yes, yes, I've put a lot of thought into it! :D

Don't forget the cigars.... :D

M

magicaltrevor

Greywolf said:
Best for when the weather is foul, then it's any Port in a storm. :D

<SIGH> Well it is Friday, I'll let you off!

Funnily enough I've got a picture somewhere with my mate and I supping Port from the bottle (true gentlemen!) with a Cigar in hand! :)

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
magicaltrevor said:
A nice half size bottle of Port! It takes half the room of a bottle of wine, twice the strength, just as tasty,
... and it disappears twice as fast - much faster if anyone catches on what you've got.:rolleyes:
magicaltrevor said:
and you can recork the top
Hmm... never known that to happen.

I'm rather partial to a good port myself, or a madeira - have to make sure the paracetamol is present in the right quantity though.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Wayland said:
That's the sort of thing, It's a bit on the large side but I suppose I could always take more wine...... ;)
couldn't the extra 250ml be monday morning hair of the dog? or a new trend white wine porriage?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A very intriguing thread. Must pop into Wayland's Woodland Winebar for a swift Chateau Lafite '82..... :)

I like the port idea. I like a wee drink in the wilds (after the travelling, camp chores and cutting tool use is over, of course) and my preferred drink is beer. However, if you have 1 or 2 litres of beer per night, you could be looking at 3 or 4kg for a weekend - that is a lot of extra weight to carry. Unless you're going by canoe.

Until they invent dehydrated beer for the hillwalker, I have yet to find the best answer. Glass is also heavy, and unlike the contents, is still weight on the return trip.

Cans of wine are good for weight, but the last ones I had were the second worst wine I have ever drunk.
Plastic 50ml miniatures of whisky are good.
Sachets of whisky (remember RM's Africa trip?) would be good but I've not seen them in the UK.
Port is a really good idea, especially as when out in the cold, sweet things taste especially good. It also partners savoury food well.
There really could be a market for 'expedition whisky' or 'Mountain Port' if it was sold in lightweight crushproof plastic containers in smallish (200ml?) quantities.

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
Sigg bottle full o port has had my vote for quite a few years. Me and friends use Sigg with a thermal cover to keep it warmer.
Mind you didnt work to well at top of cadir two weekends ago. Reckon it was -10 even in bothy. Portage saved my life... Hehe... Oh it does seem to go down faster, funny that. Must need more fortification when you are outdoors...beerchug

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE