calling all tree dwellers

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi guys,
I have just made the huge leap from being ground nesting to being a tree dweller i have been carrying this old hammock (pussers hammock/stretcher) for ages and i got to use it last night, i was toasty warm in a jungle sleeping bag and slept like a baby not that i woke up covered in my own excrement :yikes: i was also using a british army bivi bag, is there an easy way to actually get in that i just didnt think about. I ended up getting in the bag and trying to levitate on to the hammock it didnt really work. how ever in the end a good nights sleep was had by me. So do i need a better hammock, a better bivi bag, both, the ability to levitate or something i have not thought of. I will post some pics of my "one tree" hammock method if i can work out how to get the pics off my phone and on to the computer thingy cheers for reading my rambling post just think what you could have done instead!!!!
louis

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
getting in and out of hammocks can be a little bit of a challenge, i suggest a little daytime practise, this helps when its dark and late! keep going brother i am sure you'll get the drop on the hammock ''thingy''

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
i thought that after dark was best i was on a proper campsite and was already getting funny looks. I was trying my hardest to look cool and getting in really was not cool. Funny thing was that at 3am when i had to you know, (what makes you get out of a warm bed at 3am) it was even harder i ended up with the roll mat (inside the bivi bag) curled up while i hopped around like a demented grub.
lou

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Lou...thank you for posting this. I was too embarrased to admit that a couple of days ago I tried to "practice" getting into my sleeping bag which was in the hammock. (I'm also a new "tree dweller"). Could I do it? Could I :tapedshut! It was like handling an eel! And I was the eel! I laughed until I was exhausted!!

In the end I discovered the best way to do this was to half get in the bag (standing up), then sit in the hammock. I then pull the rest of the bag over my shoulders and "fall" into the hammock, finally raising my legs into the hammock. Seriously...I'm pleased I tried this on a practice run and not the "real thing".

Pablo

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
You could put your sleeping mat into the hammock, lie down on it, then put your sleepingbag over the top of you like a quilt. Much easier and less wriggling

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Lou,
Can't help you with the hammock but in regards to the phone - If you don't have the necessary leads and cables to get the pics onto the PC then you can always try e-mailing them to yourself then uploading them to your pics folder from the e-mail.
Never tried this myself so I don't know if it'll work :confused:

I'm assuming, of course, that you can send e-mail from your phone.
Mind you, you know what they say about assumption :rolleyes:

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
-Switch- said:
Lou,
Can't help you with the hammock but in regards to the phone - If you don't have the necessary leads and cables to get the pics onto the PC then you can always try e-mailing them to yourself then uploading them to your pics folder from the e-mail.
Never tried this myself so I don't know if it'll work :confused:

I'm assuming, of course, that you can send e-mail from your phone.
Mind you, you know what they say about assumption :rolleyes:

Failing that, PM me and i'll give you my number. Then you can mms me and I'll post them for you.

Ben

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I never had a problem getting into my sleeping bag. I just put my bag around my hammock (hammock is inside sleeping bag) and then leave it half open and I hop in ;)

But on a ship where I sailed we slept in hammocks hanging just besides of each other (hanging just under the ceiling), and the person besides me often took hold of the bar on the ceiling and then put a foot on my head or somewhere else annoying to get in her hammock... Often I was already asleep, so she woke me up :lmao:

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I dont use a bivi bag with the hammock, instead I use a tarp over the top to keep dry..

I've never really had a problem getting in and out of my sleeping bag, I keep the kip mat inside the sleeping bag, that way you don't slide/roll/ fidget off teh mat and end up getting cold. To get in I just unzip the bag more than half way sit in the middle and spin my legs around and into the bag. Then lie back and zip up. :D

Good luck and enjoy.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I was using a tarp too but i felt with the gap around if there was any wind blown rain it might go straight through and the bivi acted as a wind stopper i could be wrong as i didnt try without it.
lou

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE