Calling all East Lancastrians!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I don't drive. I just never learned. So, me and the missus are looking for any good spot for low impact overnighting in East Lancs that we can reach by 1 train and foot.

We live in Darwen and basically we where wondering if anyone who lives around the Clitheroe - Manchester Northern Rail line could share some tips on where to go?

We quite like the look of around Entwistle, but I'm pretty sure it'd be a no-no. If we need to ask permission, that's fine but we're not adverse to dossing on the sly.

If you know of anywhere (preferably wooded) please let me know, cheers!

Last edited:

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
entwistle look a good place to do a couple of nights and there are plenty of trout in the reservoir for breakfast but you need a ticket to fish lol. and its only a bus ride from darwen.

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
hiya mate i have never camped there but i have been round there fishing and mooching about there is plenty of pine wood that you could hide away in. i dont think anyone would see you, and if they did im sure most people would just leave you be.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not been that way for years. Spent some formative years on the edge of the Ribble Valley (4 miles out from Blackburn in Mellor) from about 13 to shortly after my uni years. Have walked a lot around the whole area from Chipping and Slaidburn right the way over to the east Lancs areas and on to Todmorden too. TRouble is my memory isn't what it was not that it was much cop back then as I spent the time being driven around to walks with the family. There must be something that way. I think it was Entwistle that I went to an interview for a voluntary position with BTCV once. Think it was their centre there (a kind of education centre come HQ for BTCV work in the area). Very active group IIRC. Usually means there is plenty of wildish places to go. Trouble is all those places that side of where I lived have all merged together now due to time.

I do know the Ribble Valley better as I cycled it a lot as a kid in the hols. I doubt there is anything in that area that is easy to get to by public transport until you get to Dunsop Bridge and Slaidburn I think. There are woods up there and you'd be in the forest of bowland too. However not where you are looking and hardder to get to. Would probably be just as easy to get to the Lakes as there.

Good luck with your search.

One idea (and sorry to suggest you ask this question elsewhere) could be to post a similar question (re-worded for the audience) of other outdoors sites. The more mainstream ones linked to magazines such as the "livefortheoutdoors" site or even outdoorsmagic. These sites have quite large numbers of subscribers I think so more people who might be able to help. Sorry if this is re-directing you off site. However I do think this site is better personally.

Now if you both end up liking it and want longer trips then the Lakes is the place to go. You could get the coastal train round to Ravensglass and get Lal Ratty into Eskdale (expensive that train) and you are right up there in walking country. Woods in Eskdale and open fell right up to Scafell and beyond. Plus the coastal train is supposed to be quite amazing ride too. Take half a day to get there and same back though hence the longer timescale.

Also I once got the train to Penrith and bus into Keswick. Another way in too.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Middlewood

http://www.middlewood.org.uk/middlewood.html

I was there last week with a class. Done it twice on foot, once the overhill way (about 7.5miles) once from the nearest station (wennington) (about 5miles but some of it on roads).

You can camp, stay in a yurt, or stay indoors in bunkhouse type accommodation. For a lightweight trip, either hammock-camp or stay in the Yurt.

Fires are fine, of course, and there is lots of woodland to mess about in.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Thanks all, knowledge is power and all that! I think we'll take a look at Entwistle on a saturday and see how it goes. Thanks for the Middlewood link too, not too bad getting there if it was for a weekend.

hedgedruid

Jun 23, 2011
East Lancashire UK
Round the back of calf hey reservoir off the grane rd some very nice wooded cloughs ; very little visited most people just plod around the reservoir , some nice waterfalls too .

Pete

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Round the back of calf hey reservoir off the grane rd some very nice wooded cloughs ; very little visited most people just plod around the reservoir , some nice waterfalls too .

Pete

Nice one Pete, checked that on the OS and google and it looks like a winner. Seems to be less public that Entwistle and there's a spring and like you said a waterfall.

hedgedruid

Jun 23, 2011
East Lancashire UK
Nice one Pete, checked that on the OS and google and it looks like a winner. Seems to be less public that Entwistle and there's a spring and like you said a waterfall.

You can walk in from the Rossins side - less chance of meeting any RANGERS - as well as off the grane road. Hope you enjoy the area .

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE