Caligae

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Just finished these Roman sandals (Caligae) for a couple of members of Roma Antiqua.

sm-caligae004.jpg

sm-caligae003.jpg

sm-caligae005.jpg

sm-caligae006.jpg

The customers will be fitting their own hobnails. The soles are four layers thick. Lovely comfortable shoes they are.

Eric

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I love them.

They think I am mad at work as when I am not suited and booted I ware Teva sandals all year round and I have always fancy making myself a pair of Caligae but have never got round to it because I have never found a supply of hobnails.

You might have just inspired me to dig out the plans I found and get making :D

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Thanks Eric. It just shows me how long its been since I last orderd anything from LePrevo as I am sure I look for some but didn't see any. I might do some digging for some Teva style plans as from memory my last leather pair (and yes I am wareing them no, in the office) cost me £90.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi Eric,

I got some hob nails from our friends in Gordie Land. Can you give me some pointers on fitting them? I thought that it was just a case of making the hole, pushing the nail in then peining the end over but when I tried it on a couple of nails it just broke off at the root.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I don't make holes first, I just hammer them straight in. Generally the soles I do them on are at least triple leather so they don't come through and don't need peening. The friction from hammering them straight in holds them in place (it also makes extraction easier when they wear down). Even army ammunition boots back in the days before DMS boots had triple thick soles, so I don't know of a reliable fixing method for thinner soles.

Eric

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Thanks Eric,

I have not started the project yet as I am a bit short of leather at the moment, enough for a few sheath project but not for a pair of Caligae and I might look a bit daft with just one ;) So I think that I will take your advice and go with a triple sole rather than the double I was planning on.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Actually, now that I think about it, there's 4 layers altogether. The caligae layer itself, two layers below that and another one on top like an insole, but full thickness veg tan. The bottom layer should also be hard soling leather rather than the softer stuff used for the caligae and mid soles.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE