cairngorms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cjackson

May 16, 2014
Sheffield, England
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've done a search and couldn't find anything.
Me and the misses are planning a camping trip to the cairngorms in September. Could anybody recommend a good campsite preferably one that allows open fires? This will her first camping trip so I think a site may be better.

Cheers in advance

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I would just head into the hills and set up somewhere nice but a quick google using the term "Cairngorm area campsites" returned many results

cjackson

May 16, 2014
Sheffield, England
I would just head into the hills and set up somewhere nice but a quick google using the term "Cairngorm area campsites" returned many results

I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with them and could recomended one. If I was on my own I would definitely be heading into the hills and exploring.

M McB

Need to contact Admin...
May 28, 2014
Scotland
I second the Rothiemurchus campsite near Aviemore, it really is as close as you can get to wild camping without the fires but with toilets and showers!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Be careful lighting fires there as the peat can catch easily and burn underground for months and there is lots of tinder. Ideally find a braided gravel corner on a burn and light there. Remember access is only legal responsibly and there is no legal right to light fires - a common misconception is you that can camp and light up anywhere - there are small commercial sites that allow fires. This site is quite Bushcrafty.

http://www.cairngorms-park.com/accommodation/Lazy-Duck-Campsite/

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Definitely Rothiemurchus, brilliant site. If you want to be nearer to the mountain though, try the Glenmore campsite, right next to Loch Morlich.

Fjord

Dec 28, 2013
Bolton
I second the Rothiemurchus campsite near Aviemore, it really is as close as you can get to wild camping without the fires but with toilets and showers!

The facilities are amazing by campsite standards. We were off to the edge in a secluded, wooded area complete with beck.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Folks on the Spey descent often use a site at Boat of Balliefurth and IIRC they are ok with open fires. Sorry I've no other details.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE