Cabin in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi everyone

So I'm lucky enough that as a family we've a small piece of woodland in Wales where we've brought in a shepherds hut. As you can imagine we spend a lot of time here, and have done for the last ten years or so.

The hut has been improved on over the years and boasts a solar panel (certain members of family like to have phones charged), a long drop toilet nearby, a fire stove, an outdoor kitchen with rainwater out the tap (that brings me to a question below), and some other creature comforts. But we're lacking a couple of things.

The cabin has very poor insulation in the roof, and we've tried to encourage moss to grow to provide some warmth:

9e000d979b36bc3144823feef72d831c.jpg

As you can see. Not a great effort. Any ideas for wild insulation to help in winter?

Lastly, I read British Red's awesome piece on water filtration (thanks BR). We've got a water butt which supplies us with rain water (piped straight into kitchen!). Would a millbank bag and rolling boil suffice to cleanse the water? Should there be anything else we should be watchful for?

1bb1592f7936172bd5fecec4d74ea840.jpg

6634e2cc51e5978fd2b0be4da696faea.jpg

(Not a bad view from the deck 😍)

Jake

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Peace and quiet! What sorts of temperatures/rain/snow/wind do you expect to get in the winters?
As artificial as it is, I'd consider 4" of styrofoam insulation panelling on the inside of the roof.
It paints OK with acrylics so there's opportunity for something novel.

Heat rises. I suggest a sleeping loft which also increases your floor space.
You'd be up in the warmest part of the house for winter sleeping.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
That is a good idea. The roof is done so well with timber it would be a shame to cover over. Might be a problem to persuade family. But it means its v cold in winter. We're by the Black Mountains by the Beacons, so nothing dramatic, but it can easily get to -7/-8 in places. Certainly nippy. Because it's Wales, it's mostly rain. But we've a nice canopy area with a fire bowl for such weather. Means we spend most if our time congregated there with the occasional trip to chop wood/play games.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Insulation in a ceiling makes a profound difference in both the summer and the winter. I had a summer place, open to the roof, and loved it.
Half way through one particularly cold wet summer, we hung T-track with acoustic tiles and tossed about 12" fiberglas bats above that.
The kitchen was in the verandah but the main bedrooms and the living room got covered and it made a huge difference
with the wood stove in the living room on the rest of the sloppy cold days.

The difference in comfort level made it a fairly easy sell to my kids.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Wild insulation as in natural materials?

Not easy. In the very old days they used to insulate with wood shavings. Long curly things.
Insulates well. Wild animals love it too.
Unfortunately it can catch fire. In a hut I would not worry about that though.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
For summer, a secondary roof, with a small air gap with some flow, works wonders to keep it cool. Same idea as the old Landrover safari roof.
I've done that to a number of my outbuildings. And the ones that don't have this, are considerably hotter, especially in the weather we have had recently.
(Obviously this only has an effect in the summer. Though I've not tried plugging the gaps to stop the flow in winter. As I tend to just burn more pallet wood, and don't notice the cold.)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thanks all. That's great. Is there anything in particular to worry about regarding drinking (boiled) rainwater from a water butt?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I wouldn't go for a well. No no - you have no idea what minerals are in it without expensive testing. Those are very hard to deal with.

Rainwater in wales shouldn't have any toxins that can't be dealt with by boiling, but maybe consider getting a ceramic and charcoal filter as well just for the drinking water.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I was thinking of toxins by putrefying animals (that fall into the water butt). like mice, flies, beetles.

Yes, filter is a good idea. Would a Brita filter do the trick?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
In the mountains of Wales, and being stored in a plastic container, is there anything specific I should be careful of? I'm going to invest in a millbank, also happy to do water filter project!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I had an uninsulated summer house in a past life. Not possible to get out there for more than 6-7 weeks in the summer. Beds for 9 people and a workshop.
I bought a brand new galvanized garbage can. A big one. In the kitchen, I kept all the cereals, pasta, flour, cookies, crackers, etc., in it. Absolutely mouse proof.
Would be my #1 purchase as needed.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I had an uninsulated summer house in a past life. Not possible to get out there for more than 6-7 weeks in the summer. Beds for 9 people and a workshop.
I bought a brand new galvanized garbage can. A big one. In the kitchen, I kept all the cereals, pasta, flour, cookies, crackers, etc., in it. Absolutely mouse proof.
Would be my #1 purchase as needed.

Yes we've had various mouse battles. We've found the military metal storage boxes to be the answer. I believe they're ex-ammo storage?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE