Buzzards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Welsh Dragon

Mar 29, 2007
North Wales
Close to where I live I would guess there are 4 maybe 5 pairs of Buzzards, all within a couple of miles. Has anyone else noticed an increase of the Buzzard population nationally or could it be just a local thing?

Brian

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been working away from home a lot recently; mostly in Inverness and the surrounding areas. Coming home from Strathpeffer on Saturday I saw eagles, ospreys, buzzards and gleds, all soaring high, but the osprey was carrying a good sized fish. Buzzards well outnumbered all the others so you may well be right. Their cry caught my attention when I pulled over to find a sweetie, quite distinctive.

cheers,
Toddy

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Welsh Dragon said:
Close to where I live I would guess there are 4 maybe 5 pairs of Buzzards, all within a couple of miles. Has anyone else noticed an increase of the Buzzard population nationally or could it be just a local thing?

Brian

There has been a steady increase in Buzzard numbers over the last five to seven years. Goes to show that our environment is getting better.

John

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Yup. there's loads around here too (Ratho near Edinburgh). The crows, tho rooks and the ravens don't like it.

Welsh Dragon

Mar 29, 2007
North Wales
Hunter_zero said:
There has been a steady increase in Buzzard numbers over the last five to seven years. Goes to show that our environment is getting better.

John

Also might be to do with the farmers realising Buzzards weren't as big a problem as they thought so now they aren't being persecuted like I heard they were at one time?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Partly a change in pesticide laws and partly it is now illegal to kill these birds.

Have a look in old game records and see how agressively gamekeepers killed them , often not to protect livestock but to protect pheasants and grouse etc.

Tant

Gailainne

Life Member
Toddy said:

Amazing I live in this area and never knew they were here, Bussards, kestrels peregrines, harriers I see fairly often, I would love to see a kite. I saw a mating pair of Ospreys last weekend, what an amazing experience.

I have never seen a Golden eagle, my aunt (70 plus) has seen 7 mating pairs, all in recent years :notworthy, she takes it seriously you understand. still :notworthy

Regards

Stephen

Hmmm A worthy subject for a 200th post :D

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
We do see plenty of buzzards round our way, but at the moment the big success story is the red kite. They are part of release program from Harewood House (about 12m as the kite flies!) this year we have 4 pairs in our area one with what looks like last years chick with them.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
True story...
About a month ago I was working on a roof, now the site I am on hasn't got the best record as far as safety is concerned and the scaffolding is dodgy at best so I was ambling along a 4" wide steel I beam at ridge height when my mate pointed out that there was 10 (I counted them) buzzards circling above me on the thermals as it was a sunny day.

He reckoned they were trying to tell me something :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE