Buzzard Picture

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Was out taking pictures today when I heard the wail of a buzzard - looked up and there he was. I hear and see them most days and they still move me. Here he is for you to enjoy

Red

1671141719_9b139e3ff9.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have you ever been attacked by one? - I have in mid Wales by Tregaron Bog!
It repeatedly dived at me despite the fact that I was nowhere near any possible nest site and swooped ar the back of my head close enough to make my Tilley hat flap in the disturbed air of its passage. I had to keep on turning as I walked so I could spot it coming and raise my walking pole to give a false/higher target. This went on for about half a mile and was very intimidating!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Great photo Red. I love thoe birds, although John, your story puts them in a different perspective.

It reminds me of the walk along a sea front and swooping sea gulls nicking my chips!

Back to the point, I was chatting to an NT warden recently and telling him I had seen a Buzzard hovering(by flapping) and there are numerous reports of this and how it is a recent skill they have learned. Fascinating creatures.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aragorn - he was 20 foot or so up I guess. Never been attacked by anything yet - had a few close encounters where me and the animal / bird both "jumped". Nearly trod on a buzzard ground feeding once - that was a bowel loosening experience. Been brushed by the wings of a griffon vulture too.

Red

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice pic Red , John that sounded pretty scary, being attacked by one. Dougster sounds like those buzzards have been copying the Kestrels.

Simon.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thats pretty amazing really how they can copy another bird and use it to their advantage.

Simon.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
As far as i know Buzzards have always hovered and been documented as such.
It's mentioned in Witherbys handbook from early last century.
It's just not seen much.
Tom.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I must admit I have never seen Buzzards do this before, I shall be keeping an eye out for them now.

Simon.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
There are certainly more buzzards than kestrels around here, I love the fact that we now have a big bird of pray which is more than common, they are all over the blimmin' place. I think it spells good things for the health of the countryside in general.

Fantastic photo Red, what were you shooting with if you don't mind me asking?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE