Buying stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I was just reading about the scout association selling their stores to Blacks thread and people mentioned buying most of their kit online or from independant stores, I just wondered if that spilled over to weekly shopping? I do not want to start a diatribe on politics or the evils of whatever, but thought it might be interesting to find out where people involved in bushcraft tend to buy their stuff.

Greg

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
havent been in a super market more than 5 times in the last 4 years.. all food shoping is done in the local farm shop most everything else we get in the village or online!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
For general weekly shopping, it's a matter of convenience... finding good local fresh produce in Harrow isn't possible so I shop at the closest cheapest place. At the moment it's Tescos or Morrisons.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks for the link tomtom, thoughtful but not entirely useful for me... well, not useful at all, there are 3 places within what looks like 8 miles from me and they're all in diferent directions.

I'm not going to be travelling around all saturday morning for 40 miles for groceries because that's just bonkers!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
get my weekly organic fruit and veg box from Riverford . Although they're based in Devon they have a distributor who delivers in my neck of the woods. There's a couple of Farmer's markets locally as well about a fortnight apart so they're great for getting decent meat. Other wise it's the supermarkets.

Bushcraft stuff online, with lots coming from eBay.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Local greengrocer for fruit & veg and nuts & grains (he buys from the local mart for a lot of it);
http://www.greenwitch.co.uk/herbs for the few herbs I can't grow or acquire
http://www.nbtea.co.uk for the best tea (and in mug filter, ever. Try their sample sets)
http://www.greenshop.co.uk for cleaning products, etc
Supermarket for the rest apart from meat....usually Safeway(whatever it is now) and Lidl, who do really good things. Meat is dependent upon what I find in a plain carrier bag hanging from the back door handle. Yesterday it was a bit of venison (happy husband and cat). I'm told there'll be a couple of pigeons tomorrow.....and a leek, 'cos I'm vegetarian.
Toddy

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Meat comes from the local farmers market which is held fortnightly, although I don't eat alot. Usually just get some bacon to put in stews. I also get veg and fish and spuds from there when they are available.
All the other stuff is Sainsbury's or Lidl's.
Also suppliment my meat supply with road kill, and rarely, by hunting.
Also have a little veg garden, not enough for a whole years supply but it helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE