Buying Leather..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi all,

I'm looking to do some leather work, nothing too fancy just some pouches, sheaths and covers. Ideally I don't think I want the faff of having to dye the leather. Also I think I'd like to wet form the leather for some items. I'd like to make all of the pieces I have planned out of black leather. I've been looking at some old threads but they're not very recent so I thought it might be good to get some up to date advice.
It'd be great if people could help answer some of the following questions.

Where is the best place online to buy leather for my purposes?
Is 3-3.5mm reasonable to use for sheaths and covers etc.?
Is a shouder the best leather for what I have planned?
How easy is dying leather?
If I want to wet form, can I use pre-dyed leather or should I dye it myself afterwoods?
Apart from tools is there anything else I need to consider?
I have already made some paper patterns for some of the items I want to make, so I have some idea of how much I need, but in general how do you guesstimate the amount of leather needed?
Where is the best place online to buy leather for my purposes?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Go for either le prevo or Tandy Leather for your requirements.

Le prevo has a very archaic website so it's better to phone your order through and the staff are happy to advise you.

Dying leather is easy, just don't get it on your skin or it takes ages to get off :rolleyes: You can dye before or after wet forming so just get veg tan and save some money.

As for how much? You're on a slippery road so lots :lmao:

Reactions: KenThis

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Anyone got tips on getting reclaimed/recycled leather? A few years ago I cut a load(all of it!) off a nice leather sofa that was in a skip in the snow, and it's slowly been seeing me through but now i'm fresh out and dont really want to buy new leather. Thanks!

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
hands down leprevo. give them a ring and tell them what you want to make, they will look after you. I'd recommend Abbey England after them. Tandy leather will try and sell you a bunch of things you don't need at ridiculous prices tbh

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I use this ebay shop quite a bit. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LEATHERANDSTUFF-SHOP?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Wet form before dyeing. I always where gloves when dyeing and well ventilated area depending on the type of dye.

Keep you finger nails away from the leather as much as possible, if you do get marks on undyed leather you can generally wet it and rub them out, but wet the whole visable area to avoid water marks.

Have fun

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
I just got a load of off cuts of upholstery leather from a sofa manufacturer. The bits are all different colours and the bits are quite big. Easily big enough to make pouches and covers.

If there's a sofa maker near you it might be worth dropping by.

Jul 8, 2016
Manchester
hands down leprevo. give them a ring and tell them what you want to make, they will look after you. I'd recommend Abbey England after them. Tandy leather will try and sell you a bunch of things you don't need at ridiculous prices tbh

How would the quality of a veg tan shoulder from leprevo compare to a Tandy craftsman oak? I’ve just about used up my first lot and looking to buy some more. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
There is a tannery in Knutsford if you are up this way. You need to be buying a hide or half hide, they wont just do bits.

Advantage being you get to see before you buy. They dont really do over the counter but are happy enough to show you some stock if you call ahead. Amazing amount of stuff in there.

ferretracer

Nov 16, 2012
basingstoke
http://www.pinchmillleathers.co.uk/

these guys have been at a few of the reenactment markets and they do online as well there others who do the same markets and other reenactment events as well, so could be avenue if any events near to you and seeing your cardiff there a few medieval reenactment events dotted around wales in the summer months

Dreadhead

How would the quality of a veg tan shoulder from leprevo compare to a Tandy craftsman oak? I’ve just about used up my first lot and looking to buy some more. Thanks

I find the Tandy craftsman oak often poor quality, and because tandy dont charge per square foot you get overcharged every time often paying for a double shoulder and getting nearer to a single. Leprevo have a cheaper range called Rio which isn't too bad, but their valencia and segovia ranges are good stuff. You could also try abbey england they have very nice leathers

Jul 8, 2016
Manchester
I find the Tandy craftsman oak often poor quality, and because tandy dont charge per square foot you get overcharged every time often paying for a double shoulder and getting nearer to a single. Leprevo have a cheaper range called Rio which isn't too bad, but their valencia and segovia ranges are good stuff. You could also try abbey england they have very nice leathers

Thanks for that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE