Buying a mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Personally, I'd say neither, and get the Mora Clipper. Has a plastic handle, but it looks better and judging by the plastic one you showed, would give a better grip.

Don't know if anything's wrong with the wooden handled Mora, but the crossguard would put me off, I've tried carving with a knife that had one and it was pretty painful.

Hope that helps...

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
ummm I believe those two you showed have the same blade profile and grind as the Clipper, though you can buy the Clipper in either High Carbon or Stainless. I expect you can with the others as well.

EDIT: You can, by the way, get other blades I believe... they make a fillet knife too I think, but obviously that's not really the best choice for Bushcraft.

leon-1

No, the clipper has a slightly different grind to the 760 (the plastic handled one on ebay), personal opinion the clipper is a better knife of the 2. It arrives sharper, the grind is slightly better and the handle is more ergonomic. The plastic sheaths are not much good on either, but it doesn't take a lot to make your own sheath, or you could get someone to make one for you.

I'd agree with Draven that the clipper is the one to go for and there are plenty of other people who would agree.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
leon-1 said:
I'd agree with Draven that the clipper is the one to go for and there are plenty of other people who would agree.
Me being one!! - i tend to use the clipper, despite owning a couple of Stewart Marshes, an F1 and a whole drawer full of other knives.
The rubberised grip is good under wet conditions too ;)

cheers
Steve

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Bunnerz said:
Ok so I'm going to get a mora for my first knife. As i look around ebay i find quite a few, different handles have kinda thrown me :confused:

Do i want a birch handle like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SCOUT-KNI...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

or plastic like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Frosts-Of-Swe...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards
I bought one of the plastic handled mora jobbies at the moot for my 8yr old boy, it wasn't very sharp, but it soon took a very nice edge. Obviously, being his first proper knife, he is well pleased with it, but I have had a play with it too and have found it great to use. I filed down the back of the blade, because it was quite rounded and would not strike a fire steel, it does now, and despite it being a stainless blade (rather than a carbon blade) it showers sparks a goodun............

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
Iv just bought the survival plain green plastic one i think but i wanted the clipper with the rubber handle. Hasnt arrived yet so illl see what its like lol. There so cheap tho its probably worth experimenting tho im no expert. :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I use a green plastic stainless mra on all my courses.

They are realitively cheap.

the handles can break when battoning if your technique isnt quite right, I have had a few students break them.

I find that using one all day seems to tire my hands more than my own knife.

I use a Mora on the courses the same as the students to show that its the person thats important not the tool.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I find that using one all day seems to tire my hands more than my own knife.

I know watcha mean, my only complaint about the Clipper is that the handle is too small for my hands... if I use it too much I'll get blisters and the muscles ache... still, I wouldn't go back on my decision to use one!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I had to square off the spine on my Clipper, too. It took a bit more filing than I actually expected but then again, stainless is much more wear resistant than carbon steel. And just like yours, Jon, mine strikes a shower of sparks like a goodun. :)

Adam

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
How will I file down to make a good striking surface? Should i clamp it or what that damage it? Hardcore sand paper or filing saw thing!? :eek:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Bunnerz said:
How will I file down to make a good striking surface? Should i clamp it or what that damage it? Hardcore sand paper or filing saw thing!? :eek:
I clamped the knife in a vice, using a bit of cardboard either side to protect the knife. Then I filed down the edge flat with a fine metal file.
You can also put some wet and dry paper on a flat surface and draw the knife over that. Best to cover the blade with some strong tape to protect your pinkies.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE