bushtuker sea style....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Up At 6am today to try my new gun out in Portland Dorset, bagged these beautys out looking for breakfast. Calamari and Bass for tea

Image173.jpg

Image174.jpg

Jay :D

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Just finished a book about castaways during the age of sail, and over and over I found myself thinking: Those guys could have eaten well if they'd only had masks and snorkels.

I read a book many years ago by Hans Haas - one of the pioneer SCUBA divers. IIRC he and his companions tried to live off the sea during an expedition by spearfishing. He concluded that the loss of energy from the activity was far greater than that gained from the catch.

BTW: those that remember the television series 'Under the Red Sea' will recall that Lotti Hass was quite something!

Jim

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Luck i can hunt the land too then:eek: , Just had the kids out on the low tide and got a kilo of cockles and some Palourde (Carpet shell clams). Got the little ones in their wetsuits and of they went, very nice feeling watching my lads fend for themselves. I find that i can reduce the shopping bill well by hunting at the weekends, i catch scallopes,razors,mussels,oysters lobster spider crab bass flaties mullet congar. Mr Hass made the mistake of wearing scuba( it scares fish),which is illegal in the UK too:AR15firin . Lotti Hass was a real babe and very nice too!!!:D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmmm fresh fish and squid...:)
So how did you cook 'em? grill them over a fire, or bake in dutchy with a little olive oil, fresh sweet tomatoes and some rosemary or crusted in salt and a good few turns of fresh pepper or wrapped in seaweed and steam-baked in the embers?
Do I seem food orientated to you folks? :lmao:
Looks a nice breakfast, and it reminds me that I haven't checked the gravalax since last night :eek:
Goatboy.

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
I believe he started with re-breathing apparatus.

Jim

Very true jim, good chance it was 100% Draeger 02 set similar to buster crabs submarine escape set, rateded to 8 meters max depth, but later on he was diving scuba at the ripe old age of 88 in australia when i meet him. He was invited to talk to us as he was a ex German combat diver in the war. Very cool guy.

Jay

I read a book many years ago by Hans Haas - one of the pioneer SCUBA divers. IIRC he and his companions tried to live off the sea during an expedition by spearfishing. He concluded that the loss of energy from the activity was far greater than that gained from the catch.

BTW: those that remember the television series 'Under the Red Sea' will recall that Lotti Hass was quite something!

Jim

Just give me some string, a turkey or chicken neck, a dip net and a big pot and I'll eat well with little loss of energy...at least I would in the Guld of Mexico...never tried it in the Atlantic side of Florida

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE