Bushmoot Poplar bark carvings...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I was looking over Mors shoulder whilst he was whittling this and he appeared not to be paying to much attention to what he was doing, joining in with the conversation and general banter, oh by the way it was also dark.
That’s what I call an accomplished wood carver.
This is true folk art, you are very lucky Romi.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
He did that carving on the saturday in less than an hour while it was lashing down with rain and everyone was bombarding him with questions. He's a very skilled man!

I'll see if I can get hold of a digital camera and post my attempts up here as well. :eek:

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
It's isn't mine unfortunately, it was for Romi. He did this whilst simultaneously teaching my son to carve a spoon.

I was sitting next to Mors whilst he was demonstrating the carving technique to Romi - he kept pointing at my features and then carving a bit more. (But I refuse to believe my nose is that big! :D )

Here are the items Mors carved for me.....

Morspoplarbarkitems.jpg
[/IMG]

From the left there is a letter opener, a pendent for my necklace which if required can be snapped in half to provide an arrow tip and an atlatle head, the face of the old man of the woods (popular in Sweden apparently).

and this is mine....

Mypoplarbarkcarving.jpg
[/IMG]

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Has anyone got a pic of the carving Mors made I think he called a History of Bushcraft on Monday night showing an atalatle head, arrow tip and spear (I think) all in one carving? I can't remember who he did this for (sorry to be vague).

It was a most incredible piece but I couldn't get a pic myself.

Pablo

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Here the ones he did for us.
The one on the left already has a the face of the woods in the bark so he didn't carve it. It about the same level as the other faces.
The centre one has the feather on the front and a string hook to hang it from in the back. - Very nice

p1000859.jpg

Cheers

Mark

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
He's a bit of a one trick pony, isn't he?

:lmao: Just kidding. :lmao: These really are superb. You're all very lucky and I'm sure they'll be treasured for years. Until this thread, I was fairly pleased with the spatula I'd carved after being given a piece of the poplar (Thanks, George). I might have to have a go at one of these now, but I'm sure the results will not be close to these and will certainly never be displayed! :D

Phil-N

Nov 22, 2005
South Yorkshire
Pablo said:
Has anyone got a pic of the carving Mors made I think he called a History of Bushcraft on Monday night showing an atalatle head, arrow tip and spear (I think) all in one carving? I can't remember who he did this for (sorry to be vague).

It was a most incredible piece but I couldn't get a pic myself.

Pablo

Is this what you are looking for?
[/IMG]

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE