Bushman axe

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Hi

Just taken delivery of a wetterlings bushman axe. Initial impressions are fantastic. I love the look and feel of it and can't wait to try it out. However, closer inspection shows the cutting edge to be out of line with the handle's centre line, the cheeks are unequal - one side is noticeably more convex, - and the cutting edge is actually not straight, with a slight twist to it.

I have three GB axes and a Hultafors hatchet. I know there are differences in finish with a product of this nature. But, all the others are perfectly straight, symmetrical and true.

Send back to exchange? I realise this comes with buying mail order. No stockists in Northumberland though!

Very hard to get a pic on my phone that shows the above.

I'm not criticising the store here, just making sure I'm not being too '"perfectionist".

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If your not happy send it back. Buying mail order gives you a 14 day return period

From what you've described, that's something that would probably annoy me everytime I used it

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
If your not happy send it back. Buying mail order gives you a 14 day return period

From what you've described, that's something that would probably annoy me everytime I used it

Yup. That's the problem. At this price point it really needs to be 'right'. :)

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Well out, send it back.
I bought a Mears wilderness axe two years ago and that went back, it was rough as hell with three flaws, not a cheap axe ! Went straight back and the replacement arrived quickly and I still have it (it must be good as I sell everything!)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I got one too a few months back and love it, great little axe, but your's need to go back by the sounds of it.

Cheers, Paul

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If it's hung out of true and the grind is wrong, it ain't fit to use; send it back and ask for one that's correctly set up. You pay less money for perhaps lesser quality materials and finish but it's a tool and it either works or it doesn't.

Every such thing as this that doesn't get sent back makes it more likely that another seller will attempt to foist sub-standard carp on all of us :)

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Overdue update.

I returned the axe and received a full refund. We then heard about the Woodsmith Store which is actually quite local to us in Whitley Bay. http://woodsmithexperience.co.uk/discover/about/

We visited and viewed all the wares in stock. Maurice is a complete gentleman and was extremely helpful. After examining 4 different axes, I chose a bushman axe that was - in my view - absolutely perfect. Well forged, hung perfectly, handle grain is perfect and the mask fits.

I love it. In the little use so far, it chops really well, splits WAY better than an SFA and the extra weight in the head and handle length definitely feel more powerful. It does feel heavier when basic carving. Time will tell.

Massive thumbs up for Maurice and the Woodsmith Store!!

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Another thumbs up for the Woodsmith Store. I had an axe from them - another Wetterlings, I'm afraid to say - that was horribly skewed; Maurice replaced it with one that was as straight as I could wish for. I could spend a lot of money there...

No associations with 'em - just another very satisfied customer.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Cheers guys.

Yup. Maurice was really helpful. We ended up chatting for half an hour AFTER we'd bought the axe. I hope to do a course with him at some point.

No link. Just satisfied and happy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE