Bushcrafty > Domesticity!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Since I tried it in the woods a while back, I'm a big fan of tea made from pine needles. So much so that I now have a ziplock bag of them in the fridge, handy for me as I found I was drinking WAY to much coffee. I'm at uni over the holidays catching up on work, sadly my life revolves around study broken by my treasured coffee breaks. Boredom plus the fact that I can watch day time TV and call it research* mean I stop for coffee alot! This has saved me climbing the walls. The bonus is a bag of pine needles lasts FOREVER in the fridge, just shred a few up and steep till they sink.

Also, the last few meals of mine have been adorned by things from the wild (well campus anyway! :D ) I had ramsoms in my stir fry and hogweed some non-descript, use whatever's in the fridge type meal. I also found chives, wood sorrel, nettles, lime leaves, cat tail, jack in the hedge or garlic mustard and many many more.

What distinctly bushy things have you brought indoors and made part of your everyday life?

I think the next step is to set the trangia up on my desk so I don't even have to go to the kitchen... maximum gain, minimum effort!

Ben

*the joys of studying a module on gender politics - portrayal of the rolls of women in the media or, in other words, endless GMTV makeovers and the role they play in an evil masterminded plan to put women back in cages...

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
benjamin.oneill said:
What distinctly bushy things have you brought indoors and made part of your everyday life?

Cool question... now these arn't very bushcrafty but:
  • I often use a ferro rod to light the gas stove because neither SWMBO or I smoke and lighters are usually hard to find round our place
  • We forage for berries when they are available for baking...
  • My home made 'user' knife is now the only sharp one in the house and is used for everything!
  • I take the rucsac shopping now and walk to the supermarket?
  • Oh yeh - and I now look at roadkill *differently* but haven't the stomach to yet to harvest the unnatural bounty that is the Leeds to Harrogate road. hehe by the time I se 'em the pheasants are usually a feathery pancake.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
redcollective said:
[*]Oh yeh - and I now look at roadkill *differently* but haven't the stomach to yet to harvest the unnatural bounty that is the Leeds to Harrogate road. hehe by the time I se 'em the pheasants are usually a feathery pancake.
[/list]

Feathery pancake? I think not!!! Pheasant escalope is what that is... :lmao:

All my bushy cook kit (and I have wayyyyy to much!!) came out when we did up the kitchen. Trangias, gas stoves, pans the lot!! family meals were a laugh.. :D

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
I think I've just remebered my very favourite bit of posh-ed up indoor bushcraft. Ray meares mentions freezing down birch sap, with a min leaf in the middle of the ice-cube and dropping that into a wee malt! Sounds perfect to me... mmm :D

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
I don't get much further than to carry a magnesium/ferro rod on my key-ring, having all my jeans leatherman-washed (two distinct white marks from my leatherman wave where the jeans wear from the lump being constantly carried) and bits and peices of birchbark that I've scavinged from here and there.

I tap my maple and drink it in the season.

I'm not from the 'ice in my whiskey'-school myself but I guess birch sap is an absolutely briliant trick for those who are.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
BobFromHolland said:
I'm not from the 'ice in my whiskey'-school myself but I guess birch sap is an absolutely briliant trick for those who are.

No, nor am I. I prefer it positively warm - body temp from being lovingly clutched or from a hip-flask! Ice totally kills a good'un.. I seriously had to stop myself drifting into a delirous daydream thinking about a dram... I feel so deprived as an empoverished student!

Ben

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
The odd rabbit or game bird. However, its my kids who insist on dragging home half the countryside with them. Our house is full of sticks and stones, match boxs stuffed with pine sap and all manner of plants and wild foods when in season. Bannock bread cooked by the living room fire is very popular when washed down with hot coco. We even keep some food stuffs in birch bark containers. Oh yes, we had a try at cooking Limpets last weekend.......not a great success. Anyone got any recommendations of how to make them edable?

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Abbe Osram said:
Sleeping in my sleeping bag sometimes.

cheers
Abbe

Thats made me think of another one! I hate closed windows and allways have them atleast ajar, like right now - 8.30, nice and dusky and a spring breeze blowing in the last of the days bird song. At night I sleep with it right open and just wrap up more when its colder. When its wet and I have to close it it just doesn't feel right.

Ben

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I must say that the buschcrafty skill of knife sharpening and knife use has become a big part of my home life. I now have rather sharp cooking knives (thanks in part to the General's teachings a moot or two back), and always have a Swiss Army camper knife nearby.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
One of a variety of bushcrafty kinives is always used in the kitchen (by me anyway).
Most of the vast ammount of coffee I drink at home is from a Kuksa (A bought one unfortunately! Havn't found a burl big enough to have a go at my own).
Never without an SAK far from hand, small one of course so as not to step outside the boundaries of the law!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toots said:
One of a variety of bushcrafty kinives is always used in the kitchen (by me anyway).
Most of the vast ammount of coffee I drink at home is from a Kuksa (A bought one unfortunately! Havn't found a burl big enough to have a go at my own).
Never without an SAK far from hand, small one of course so as not to step outside the boundaries of the law!

This reminds me that I too use my Kuksa at home at times.

//Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE