bushcraftUK Wiki

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Hi,

I was just wondering if it might be nice to get a bushcraft Wiki up and running? There are often people providing interesting information such as howto's, lists of links, and general discussion that might be handy to have in a user-editable 'encyclopedia'

An example of a Wiki here:

WikiPedia

Anyone?

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
tomtom said:
its an encylopedia thing yes? who inputs the infomation?
Everybody enters the information!! Even better, we can edit each others' information too!!! (Which might be important if someone adds incorrect information, like "Death cap mushrooms are good for you" [which, of course, they aren't].)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've set up a few Wikis before, and they're very easy to run - phpWiki being the obvious one, since I'm guessing the forums are already running on a php'ed webserver :)

Yes, rules are important, and one way to ensrue that the data stays relevant and accurate is to ensure that it is password protected, just like the forums. It is also very easy to run Wiki's with levels of management, so that edits have to be approved etc.

As with all these things though, a big set of T&C's are important for anyone posting to or reading information from them (it would in effect carry the same information as the forums in many cases). I would be a good way to prevent re-posts on the same issues, provide a nicely layered tree for all the links people post to extrenal sites etc).

I'm happy to give both help and practical assistance in setting up such a thing if people are interested in this idea. In particular, laying out a good framework in which members can post. After all - the information it will carry will only be as good as the members who post to/maintain it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE