Bushcrafting Favourite area's

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Where is your favourite area in the UK to practice Bushcraft skills or just been out in the woods/wild.

Mine used to be the cheviots and woodlands near Morpeth.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
The coast from Buckhaven to west Wemyss. 5 mins from the house, lots of wild life, lots of woodland, the sea, the beach, the highest concentration of caves in Northern Europe.

I have a great wee spot just outside a cave and very few people go to it as it's well away from the path, constant supply of firewood washed up twice a day, if it rains i can sit in my cave with a fire, can't hear or see any sign of humans apart from the odd bit of rubbish washed up.

My favourite spot.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Ha ha ha, you're just along the road from me. I'm about 3.5 miles to the NE of you, and probably know the exact cave you're talking about, more of an overhang now since the Council filled it in... for safety reasons... in the 1970's, which is despicable as it was one of the holy wells of Medieval Pilgrimages, and probably of far more ancient significance! It's a bit more frequented than you're saying though, although the numb-nuts are accustomed to a much more comfortable life-style these days with surround sound on their home cinemas.

And it's comforting to know that you're treading in the footsteps of a long line of ancestors ranging from last years graffiti, C18/19th lovers, Christian symbols from the cross to the salmon, a longship and evidence Viking visits, the Floral Rods and Z Rods of Pictish kings to the broken symbols of the end of dynasties. And there are marks in the caves far older than is given credit for, mysterious marks by a hand with a different mind-set to ours.

If you look closely at the eroding banks outside the caves, at about 2 - 3 metres below what was surface level, you'll find ancient fire-hearths with bone and shell middens, hammer stones and tools if you're lucky. Although digging into these deposits is both inadvisable, as the erosion layers are unstable, and undesirable, as the site is inspected frequently -you'll see trowel marks- and intrusion disturbs the archaeological record.

Any finds should be reported to Douglas Speirs' Office at Fife's Archaeological Unit. http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/topics...objectid=CCC7A11B-14C6-47DF-A67B-36D699635AD4

Cherish it my friend, as the entirety of the site is both misunderstood and grossly undervalued!

Pango.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Aye it's great mate.

The cave i use is along from the one thats filled in, i think it's the second one you would come to if you were coming from Buckhaven, it's only really accessible if you go down to the beach and then up a touch and it is quite deep, it's collapsed about 400m in though.

I'm usually there during the daytime and most of the bairns use the others judging by the crap they leave behind however i wouldn't want to spend a night there lol.

It is a lovely place and there are not many people pass by it apart from a few locals especially at this time of year.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just in the woods really, not fussed which woods as long as its clean (ie no litter) and quiet, the less people that use it the better. But I do enjoy just being out and about in the few unspoilt patches of country in my area - getting less and less unfortunately. :(

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The coast from Buckhaven to west Wemyss. 5 mins from the house, lots of wild life, lots of woodland, the sea, the beach, the highest concentration of caves in Northern Europe.

I have a great wee spot just outside a cave and very few people go to it as it's well away from the path, constant supply of firewood washed up twice a day, if it rains i can sit in my cave with a fire, can't hear or see any sign of humans apart from the odd bit of rubbish washed up.

My favourite spot.

Sounds like a perfect place

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE