Bushcraft vs Camping...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
A friend of mine is going to Iceland in a few weeks to do a sponsored trek for hearing dogs for the deaf (similar to the ones scope organise). They wanted me to go through their kit listings and help them with what to get, things to avoid etc.

Thinking it would be quite helpful to take my kit bag around I was actually really surprised when I took out all the items on the floor of her lounge that she wouldn't need... I wasn't actually left with much. Knife, billhook, snares, hammock, tarp, sharpening stone etc.

When you actually look at the kit she has to take though it'll actually take up much more space and weight. I'm certain that a lot of it is the clothing thats required, we don't take much as we can dry it out by an open fire, but she has to take so many different types, changes etc.

btw and I'll warn you sit down before reading the last part...

the kit listing said that a knife was option, she was actually considering going without anything even remotely sharp... not even an SAK :yikes: I think after several minutes of ranting she's going to take my SAK... just to keep me quiet :p

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Thats the difference between camping and 'the craft'.

In reality on a well organised camping trip she wouldnt need any of the craft/survival gear you showed her. Going back to other threads about lightening your load that is the perfect example.

Ultimately you shouldn't need to carry all that bush gear as well as your standard camp gear - the bush gear should be stuff you can make as and when needed.

As for a Hammock - errr last time I was there, Iceland had no trees to speak of just dwarved, weather beaten twigs. And this brings us on to a second line of thought - adjust your kit to your enviroment. If you insist on loading your self down with nick nacks think about what you carry - i.e. are fish hooks needed in the desert?

As for a knife - there you have a point!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I disagree with Gary.

Iceland can be remote and unforgiving as all wilderness places can be. i think your friend should leave the knife at home. i am assuming she is unfamilar with proper safe use of a knife. i decent cut would properly ruin her trip and be potentially dangerous. On a highly organised trip i can't really see what she is likely to use the SAK for.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good point about the dangers of being unfamilar with knives Wayne - however a SAK does have other uses she might find handy, such as a can opener or bottle opener or my favourite the cork screw etc and while still agreeing with you were she likely to be carving spoons or figure 4 dead falls I am sure the lady isn't completely inept and has handled sharp knives at home, in the kitchen ect and might just find the blade useful too.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
There's nothing worse than being on a proper campsite with the wrong kit! I know I've done it soooo many times. :hump: Probably it's best to think of it as planning a different kind of trip altogether and forget that it has anything to do with the outdoors/bushcraft etc. :-D

I'm a member of the Caravan & Camping assoc and staying on 'proper' sites has taught me that 'camping' is a very different animal to what we do! But it can be fun just for the sheer pleasure of watching the campers! IME it's all about doing things in an unnecessarily 'civilized' way - for example campers camp in walk-in house tents, where they sit in behind awnings of an evening watching their satellite tvs. It's very strange behaviour!! They cook inside. They eat inside. Yet, they really seem to believe they are outdoors!?! :confused: :?:

Here are my comparative kit lists.

'Proper' Camping:

Washbags And shower gel And towels. Hair dryer. Electric toothbrush.

You need deckchairs - or loungers - and a foldout table that has seats along the side.

A gas stove on legs. Sometimes with an accompanying chest of drawers/butcher block. Portable fridge (running off car battery) Multiple saucepans/frying pans. Chopping boards. Salad spinner. Washing up bowl. Toast racks. Tea pot. Caffetiere. Coffee cups with saucers. Proper knives and forks. Salad bowl and salad servers.

Giant gas mantle lights.

Airbeds. Duvets. Pillows. And pyjamas!

Clothing - shirts must have little crocodiles or similar on. No jeans allowed. No boots (flip-flops or beach shoes are mandatory for women.) Children must wear shorts (at all times, on penalty of being expelled from the playground!)

No clothing whatsoever that appears practical (eg jackets must not be waterproof. Raincoats must not be warm.)

'improper?' camping:

crawl-in tent
sleeping bag
small petrol stove
plastic plate (unless you're eating out of tin!)
camping knife/fork/spoon set
billy can
torch

clothing: whatever you happen to be wearing

Pseudo-bushcraft:
bivvy, sleeping bag, crusader mug, hexy stove, knife.

clothing: army surplus, breathables.

Full-on bushcraft:
knife

:biggthump

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Gary a point well made.

Most people aren't too unfamiliar with knives.

i usually use the other tools on my SAK more often than the blade.

I bought my mother a decent kitchen knife for mothers day as she had used the same totally blunt knife for years. I had to spent 4 hours waiting in A&E for her to have several stitches. It wasn't the most popular gift

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Your lucky Wayne I often have to rescue my favourite knife from the wife who is a dab hand at using them in the kitchen, her preference over 'normal' kitchen knives - hence my references to bushcraft/utility knives and their ability to cope in the kitchen.

In the end I bought her a stainless Helle and now shes happy and it carves a good sunday joint too!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Well just been out with a group of DoE students for the weekend, had to rearrange their packs somewhat, one of them was going to carry a 42lb bag... most of it food. They did get rather miffed when mine only weighed in at 18lb :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE