Bushcraft Saw doon at Aldi's

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Earlier today, the mrs cut down and dismembered a dead tree in the garden, 5" diameter trunk, just using the above aldi saw. Seems to do the trick

Al

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'm not saying it's total cack, just summat you'd buy, then be let down by it. Or the effort it would take to use for camp craft would make it unworthy..... I cut this spruce with my opinel
1f630ec5-5070-3c75.jpg

Swmbo trimmed it with a bacho and I halved it again with the opinel
1f630ec5-5029-6eb2.jpg

1f630ec5-50d2-56c1.jpg

For finer tasks I've seen these type of forty bob saws be cumbersome, if not dangerous.
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I have one, a recent acquisition and as I just must prove everything I buy's worth I have set to using it and yes it does the job asked of it where my only bone of contention was the blade lock being plastic in a plastic handle, but not all plastics are the same so we will see how this plastic holds up as I am kind of heavy with tools when it comes to using heavy tools and have already considered how a locking mechanism can be repaired if it breaks were such things usually break when you least expect it when you don't need it to break, like out on a job. But it cuts well on the backstroke and some on the forward too, but I wondered why there was a locking position on the blade that locks the blade at roughly forty five degrees to the handle as well as fully out, but when folded in the entirety of the toothed blade is sheathed, which is much better in my opinion of some of the more expensive saws with a more pronounced curve in the handle.

But for £2.99 the brand 'Florabest' from Lidl's maybe the same as at Aldi, in appearance, it looks the same is very good value and so my tired old SAK saw can take a back step for now.

Last edited:

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
There is something else with this bushcraft lark, many of us don't have the money to buy perhaps more resilient pretty tools by the big names, we must do with what we can afford or else bushcraft will become a reserve of the wealthy only.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
There are many instances where cheaper items will function just as well as others. Such as a water bottle, stove, pots, clothing. However when it comes to sharps, I agree that its not wise to go for cheaper options. I've recently had a £5 pen knife (sak) cause injuries.
I've had cheap folding pruning saws snap while cutting which could have been painful.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I work with a blacksmith who I shake my head at most of the time as he is poor and no wonder, he charges little for his work and so I say he should charge more like everyone else, but he says why, when the job is not worth big money as he will not become one of those that are so common these days, a person that charges more than something is worth. But you know, he is so right and that is so true, what we pay for what was in the past mundanes has escalated to stupid amounts, exotic pricing has become the norm and so we expect to pay more than an item is worth.

Sure we might say overheads and all that, but what is the profit margin and mass production is supposed to bring down prices but it seems not and then attach a fashionable name and things climb out of proportion and I have seen it, a tool that was just a tool sell cheaply, then it got a 'bushcraft' name and the price became exotic yet people continued to buy because of the association. This does not serve us as customers and we should be acting to bring prices down for all our pockets, because the more we pay for something the more we have to charge others for what they buy of us and that includes our skills and labour as employees and often for the majority we have to work at the best we can get which is what employers say not what we say and there we watch prices escalate and we can afford less and less and with that if Bushcraft tools escalate in price, only the wealthy will be able to afford. I don't think that is the essence of bushcraft, a wealthy man's game, if anything it should be any man's game.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
But Chiseller, don't you think it might be a good idea not to be too quick to criticise something that you don't actually have experience of...??

It is any man's game, i'm not a man of folding, that's why if I spend money, I want value. I've been down the road of cheap saws, if you use them for woodland living, they will let you down when you need or would be greatful of its use. If you're doing the once yearly pruning.... Crack on ;)

but them 2.99 's start adding up. How much thought, quality and control went into a 2.99 saw. Fifty pence on packaging, mark up, etc..... And as swright mentioned, chance of an untimely accident..... Crack on ;)

There is something else with this bushcraft lark, many of us don't have the money to buy perhaps more resilient pretty tools by the big names, we must do with what we can afford or else bushcraft will become a reserve of the wealthy only.

I work with a blacksmith who I shake my head at most of the time as he is poor and no wonder, he charges little for his work and so I say he should charge more like everyone else, but he says why, when the job is not worth big money as he will not become one of those that are so common these days, a person that charges more than something is worth. But you know, he is so right and that is so true, what we pay for what was in the past mundanes has escalated to stupid amounts, exotic pricing has become the norm and so we expect to pay more than an item is worth.

Sure we might say overheads and all that, but what is the profit margin and mass production is supposed to bring down prices but it seems not and then attach a fashionable name and things climb out of proportion and I have seen it, a tool that was just a tool sell cheaply, then it got a 'bushcraft' name and the price became exotic yet people continued to buy because of the association. This does not serve us as customers and we should be acting to bring prices down for all our pockets, because the more we pay for something the more we have to charge others for what they buy of us and that includes our skills and labour as employees and often for the majority we have to work at the best we can get which is what employers say not what we say and there we watch prices escalate and we can afford less and less and with that if Bushcraft tools escalate in price, only the wealthy will be able to afford. I don't think that is the essence of bushcraft, a wealthy man's game, if anything it should be any man's game.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE