Bushcraft night - Walking stick

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
hello!

as part of my 'Bushcraft night', I spent some of the evening shrotening and sanding an apple wood staff(?)

i've had this stick since my first camping trip at 19, when I started to get back into the outdoors after my teenage "scouts aren't cool enough" stage. it has been with me on every trip since.

It origonally just had all the bark roughly sliced off and has had stuff glued to it or drawn on it in marker over the years.

I recently cut it down to the height of my hip and after this evening this is the result so far..

the next plan is to put a bron swade cord handle on it and a few coats of walnut oil ( in hopes to bring out the grain bit more)

I would also like to put a metala base on the end of it, I was originally thinking copper piping but was told that the diameter is too wide. :sigh: so any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (my current funding level is pretty poor, so the more diy the better!)

Regards,
Baelfore

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
What is the diameter of the tip, you can get copper tube from 8mm to 28mm at your local merchants. But ask a local plumber if he will give you an offcut or a bit of old scrap.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Copper is quite soft and will wear and distort quite quickly in use. You can search eBay for 'ferrules' that will be more durable, or use brass instead.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The only thing that'll work on the end of a stick is a proper ferrule which you can get for very little money in Wilkinsons, different sizes from about 15mm - 25mm.................if you've got a strong arm and wrist or a wad punch, take a disk of rubber from a tyre and glue it to the tip with a decent two-part epoxy. I've tried all sorts of metal tips 'cause they look good, but they all wear down really quickly; but the worst thing is the noise they make when you're walking, it'd drive you mad and you'll never see any wildlife as you've announced your arrival from a mile away! Hope this helps, atb mac

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
........if you've got a strong arm and wrist or a wad punch, take a disk of rubber from a tyre and glue it to the tip with a decent two-part epoxy.

What a great idea! One tyre will provide years of non slip tips.

If the rubber tip stays proud of the ferule tip then copper would do, just pare down the sticks end to fit.
A bit of the pipe could be filed on the outer edge to form a stamp to size the rubber for trimming with a knife.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE