Bushcraft knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hello all,

I was just wondering what knives you all use for your bushcrafting activities and what your opinions of them are . I know some of you will have more than a handful of knives so just pick the one you use the most for general use.

I personally have a Frosts Mora training which I adore, I also have a puukko but i prefer to use the Mora because I feel it has more 'bite' and is better suited to the tasks i put it through, In my opinion.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Oh yes and also the Mora is about £20 cheaper than the puukko, Price isn't neccessarily an indication of quality.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
It doesn't take an expensive, expert recommended knife to be a good bushcrafty blade. They all will work, just some better than others and price isn't always indicative of good.

That said, being a poor cousin, my primary bush knife is a Mora SwAK. I also use the M2K, a couple of SAKs and probably the least liked knife in the Universe, the venerable USAF Pilots Survival Knife. :?: :lol:

I'm very tempted and when we can afford it, I'd like to pick up a North Star, but am waiting for those who own them to put up how they actually like the blade after putting it through it's paces.

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Hi Young Bushman.I have 4 knives that I use for bushcraft.A red handle mora that I use alot.If I need to use a batton to split something thats the one.A hand made knife by a maker named Ben Voss.This one has a 4 in. long blade.Its thicker than the mora also alot heaver.I wear a Becker necker for a neck knife.I'll use this one for all the little things that come up around camp and on the trail.I carried it on a 3 day walkabout in Arizona, it worked great.Then I alwayshave my sak forester in my pocket.Knives are very personal items.What works for one may not work for another.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i use a ws micarta which is bomb proof and a small sak, i also use a cheep and battered folder with a blade about 3 inches which i use for cutting back turf in some areas for a fire allowing me to put it back nice and neat and leave no trace and to go through roots so i dont let the fire imps out on a later date :)

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well as you know i don't own a WS micarta :wink:. I haven't yet tried the bison, which is my newly bought knife. My highland is excellent, that got me to buy the northstar, so my two knives of primary use will be the Bison Bushcraft and BRKT Northstar (once it arrives).

Cheers,

Jake

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Well, an SAK Outrider, leuku, and Brusletto Bamsen... :wink:
But as you know, I will make my own knife from a 12c27 sandvik blade, soon. The Granbit and a curly birch handle. To me the 12c27 holds a just as good edge as carbon and it's easy to sharpen. I sharpened my Bamsen couple of months ago, and it's still as sharp as then! :D

The reason I don't use the Karesuando that much anymore, is because of bevel-angle... :roll: 10 degrees or so... Can anyone confirm this? :roll:
With this angle the edge won't bite the wood. But the Bamsen slices through almost everything. :wink: :biggthump

G

Ginja

Here we go ... can, worms ... I still swear by a MOD jungle survival knife!

Yes, it's fairly heavy. Yes, it's not delicate. Yes, it can give you nasty blisters (if you're a soft-handed kinda person ... joke!). Yes, it can be tricky to sharpen. And yes, it looks as ugly as sin.

BUT ...

It's not sooo precious that if I dent it, drop it, have to dig with it, whatever - I don't mind (too much), and seemingly, neither does my knife. I find this helps to encourage me to 'get stuck in', as it were. And yes, this is my only defence for using this kinfe! (only because I have a friend who own a Woodlore, but is scared stiff of giving it a dent - defeats the purpose in my mind, not to mention the price!).

Oh yeah, and I carry a small lock knife for the more 'fiddly' jobs ... nothing fancy, just some old blade that I've had since a kid.

G

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
gotta agree with you Ginja

a knife that is too "precious" to use isnt much use IMHO

personally not a fan of heavy heavy knives, i would rather use an axe or a saw. A "bushman" saw blade can be coiled in a mess tin and a handle improvised in the field

long logs dont always need chopped, placing them strategically in the fire will cut them in half too ;)

and yes a smaller lock knife is handy for little jobs and can be kept razor sharp and safely folded in a pocket

best bet is to have a couple of knives rather than put all your trust in one "perfect" one

Tant

hobbit

May 7, 2004
guernsey
hi i have to many to note but the one i'm using now is my f1 hope to get out and play with my bbk soon though :wave:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE