Bushcraft IS for everyone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Recently, a group of us here in Northern Ireland were contacted by the Cedar foundation, a charity for people with disabilities, and we were asked if we would be able to provide a Bushcraft themed day for a group of disabled people, which would include wheelchair users. We immediately agreed and planned a day filled with Bushcrafty activities.
Here's a few pictures.

DSC_0066-1.jpg

Some of the people who joined us for the day.

DSC_0052-2.jpg

Activities included striking sparks using flint and steel.

DSC_0058-1.jpg

Getting stuck in with the Bannock making.

DSC_0063-1.jpg

Making skewers for the Bannock twists.

DSC_0129.jpg

Baking the Bannock twists over the embers.

DSC_0158.jpg

Trying out the Hammocks

DSC_0179.jpg

And we finished off by having a go at bursting some balloons using a blow pipe. the competition was fierce but great fun was had by all.
We also made some wood sprites and went on a bit of a forage, trying some blackberries and having a look at the woods and fields around us.
All of us at the NIBA would like to say what a great day we had with the Cedar foundation and take our hats off to them, not only for being game enough to come out to us for a day in the woods, but for all their dedication and hard work with the people they help to look after. They really are an inspiration.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
OMG! You got hold of a person in a wheelchair!

They are so hard to find these days.

Most of the time you have to make do with a loser like me.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
This is one of the best most inspiring forum posts I have seen for some time. These are clearly really well thought through appropriate activities with a mix of fun and stuff that requires concentration and hand eye coordination. Looking at the pictures I can feel the fun of the day but also the effort and deep concentration. Hats off to you all.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The point of this post is to perhaps encourage more of us to use our Bushcraft skills to help people enjoy some activities that they may not normally get a chance to do.

Hi CG what a great post :)

As Robin says you really thought through the activities for this group. Everyone looks to have had a great time...

Nice one...

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A good few years ago my canoeing club did something similar. We had permission to go on a small reservoir near us and the club got out its canoes and tied together to make more stable rafts out of two of them. We got a local maker of inflateable canoes, duckysand rafts to lend us some. We got nice two seaters. It was very good of them to do that. Although it would have been better if they lent us a pump too. Seriously it took about 6 fairly fit whitewater/freestyle, slalom and sea kayaking blokes a long time and some very light heads to get them up.

Then we had about 4 hours wait during which we got to play. Then just when we thought they wouldn't come a minibus turned up. A group of kids with a very wide range of abilities. All of them really nice kids. Some were very timid. It was fun watching them come round and enjoying themselves. Must count as one of my best days in a kayak. We got a lot out of it too. Although just seeing one kid dip her toes into the water was brilliant. Sounds daft but that was equivalent to her Everest. We really don't know how hard things can be for people until...

Anyway, from someone who gained a lot from helping out (still remember it from over 18 years ago) all I can say is if you get the opportunity to help in something like Celt_Ginger did I really recommend you take it up. A bit of time and effort brings rewards to all involved IMHO.

Good on you guys CG.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not everyone can so effectively create an event for a group with so many challenges :D
Very well done :cool:

I did quite a lot of work a few years ago with a organisation here who co-ordinate Summer play provision for similar groups, but of primary school age.
I think I had the advantage of having a week to work with each group. This meant that structures, such as the woven triangular panels for tepees and dens could be an ongoing thing. The sheer delight of those children I worked with though is still a very, very good memory.

I agree wholeheartedly, very worthwhile and much to be encouraged :D

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im sorry I was so cynical.

Your right, there is very little for disabled people, yet a lot would like to do it.

When I was at St loyes the main activity seemed to be football. We did Kayaking for a while (thanks to a very insistent learner) but the local group were not keen...after all day with kids they didnt want to give up their evenings for adults.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
This is one of the best most inspiring forum posts I have seen for some time. These are clearly really well thought through appropriate activities with a mix of fun and stuff that requires concentration and hand eye coordination. Looking at the pictures I can feel the fun of the day but also the effort and deep concentration. Hats off to you all.

im goint to have to agree wholeheartedly to this statment

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
That sure looks FUN! What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

The smiles on the faces say more than a thousand words.

BIG thumbs up!

Mike

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
nice one C-G and NIBA, i did quite a bit with an organisation called PHAB some years ago, i can understand you feeling of satisfaction and the joy on the kids faces, well done guys.

Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE