Bushcraft in Pureora Forest NZ

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

We've had a cracking Easter weekend here in NZ my wife bought me an early Birthday present in the form of a rather nifty Canon G11 camera and I also managed to escape the kids and perantal duty over at the beach and sneak off down into the south Waikato for a trip into the Pureora forest park for some fixed camp bushcraft...

IMG_0119-1.jpg

My destination was the Waihora lagoon which is supposedly one of the best spots in the Park..

So I lived it up with some nice fresh food a bottle or 3 of beer and my hammocking kit and Aussie Army issue sleeping bag ( warm, green and posessing a central zip..) all of this kit filled up my Vulcan and made for a heavy load.. Fortunately the walk in is only 10 or so minutes from the road end... Through some pristene NZ bush...

IMG_0111.jpg

As it's been so dry the lagoon was empty so I was glad I'd brought 6 lts of water with me...

IMG_0108.jpg

After the drive down and the short walk in I was ready for a brew...
So I cracked out the stove and got the billy boiling..

IMG_0101.jpg

After a cup of tea I took a look around the lagoon area..

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

The forest is old and a lot of the trees are podocarps this type of forest is relatively rare in NZ as a lot of it was cut and logged back in the day..

IMG_0082.jpg

The asteleia here on the trunk is pretty common and you have to be careful not to bivvy under them as they can let go without warning and you can end up squashed.. Some folk call em 'widow makers'...

Some interesting Tree ferns...

IMG_0083.jpg

Anyhow I set up my tarp and hammock for the night...

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Then prepped a fire site..

Before..

IMG_0084.jpg

TBH I've given up using my SFA as it's just too much of a PITA to lug around even for a short hike such as this. A folding saw and my F1 did a find job of cutting this Kahikatea ( white pine) trunk and then splitting it for some kindling and some feather sticks.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

A carefully carverd feather stick with some very fine curls took a spark from a fire steel and fire was soon established...

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

No chance to use the birch bark technique need birch for that and it's in short supply in NZ forest like this...

After the fire had established it's self I used a decent ember bed to get a kumura roasting..

IMG_0089.jpg

Then cracked out the skillet and used the embers to cook a nice steak...

IMG_0090.jpg

Dinner was roasted Kumura a Steak from the pan and a cold beer.. Is there a finer way of living....

IMG_0092.jpg

Dusk fell and I stoaked up the fire with some of the Kahikatea logs and contemplated the sounds of the forest.... Before retiring to the hammock and the brainless fun that is Clive Cusslers Vixen 03.

IMG_0093.jpg

After a comfy night the fire was resetablished for some bacon butties cooked bush style...

IMG_0095.jpg

After breakfast I policed up the fire area

IMG_0099.jpg

Then ensured I left no trace of my fire...

IMG_0100.jpg

All packed up just need to pull on the boots before tramping back to the car..
You need a good pack and good boots for NZ and the Vulcan and these Lowa Desert Elites fit the job really well. Light weight fast drying boots make more sense than proofed leather boots or boots with a breatheable lining for NZ.

IMG_0106.jpg

Then headed back to the car and back down the 4WD track and out of the bush..

IMG_0112.jpg

Here is looking over South Waikato Farmland on a fine NZ Autumn Day..:)

IMG_0113.jpg

All around the South Waikato you get good rock formations all around.. there are pretty typical..

IMG_0115.jpg

I headed down the road a bit to the 4wd track to Bog Inn a back country hut.. Pureora has a number of camping shelters and I wanted to check one out to see what too expect if I'm using one in future with a group..

A typical bush 'lean to' shelter..

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

I'm not sure I'd be using the matteress inside....:yuck:

Sadly not all Kiwi's who use the bush are clean and green as this proves...

IMG_0117.jpg

Still I hope you enjoyed the photos the camera is great....

Cheers

John

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
< Sigh... > Thanks for posting. < Looks out window to damp,drab,dreary Britain...>

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Nice write up and pics. Great walks around Hamilton, on my last visit I climbed Mt Pirongia. I love the fact that you don't have to keep an eye out for snakes or worry about funnel webs spiders climbing into your boots overnight.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Cracking pics looks a great spot. Hoping to visit my brother over christmas this year, any not to be missed bushy area you would reckamend?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Was over your way in January/February.

Great time, great weather, but do those bugs ever stop making that noise.:lmao:

Wairarapa was one of the stops we made, over the rumatukas, as well as under them, Wow what a view.

Taken for a trip out to see this place with our host, about 20 minutes drive from his place.

nbdr1j.jpg

waihine-gorge IIRC

And the shop to get the gear from :rolleyes:

25s2wx2.jpg

Wings :)

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Cracking pics looks a great spot. Hoping to visit my brother over christmas this year, any not to be missed bushy area you would reckamend?

Depends where he is.. NZ is a reasonable size and it take a good while to travel from spot to spot...

In reality it's all pretty good most of the bush has very low 'people pressure'.

If you enter the bush with a good leave no trace ethic then you'll be fine..

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Was over your way in January/February.

Great time, great weather, but do those bugs ever stop making that noise.:lmao:

Wairarapa was one of the stops we made, over the rumatukas, as well as under them, Wow what a view.

Taken for a trip out to see this place with our host, about 20 minutes drive from his place.

nbdr1j.jpg

waihine-gorge IIRC

And the shop to get the gear from :rolleyes:

25s2wx2.jpg

Wings :)

Is that shop in Otaki? We drove through last Easter on a trip to Wellington... The Swazi factory is up the road in Levin... I haven't spent any time in the Tararua ranges it's a bit too far south for a weekend and if I get longer I tend to head to the SI. Hope you had a good time here in NZ and supported the tourisim industry by spending loads....:)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
g11 is a great camera, your lucky!! and that looks like a great night out, and yeah clive cussler is good fun read, they should make more of his books into films apart from sahara ( i live near the place the filmed the 'desert waste plant' scenes in

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
g11 is a great camera, your lucky!! and that looks like a great night out, and yeah clive cussler is good fun read, they should make more of his books into films apart from sahara ( i live near the place the filmed the 'desert waste plant' scenes in

Yep the G11 is a very good camera so there are no excuses for poor images.. The manual view finder is it's only weak point I've found thus far... Having manual control is nice. I need to reinvest in a lightweight tripod as under the canopy of the bush light levels are low and hand holding can be a challenge.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Is that shop in Otaki? We drove through last Easter on a trip to Wellington... The Swazi factory is up the road in Levin... I haven't spent any time in the Tararua ranges it's a bit too far south for a weekend and if I get longer I tend to head to the SI. Hope you had a good time here in NZ and supported the tourisim industry by spending loads....:)

We certainly spent loads :eek:

But we came home with a little bit as well :)

I am trying to find the route we took, but think it might have been Palmerston North.

It was a trip of a lifetime for me at my age, 27 hours each way (Via LA) on a plane is no fun is it, but the guys and girls of Air New Zealand made it as good as they could goodjob

South Island was a great trip as well, especially Kaikoura where we had a chopper flight to see a pod of three Sperm Whales and one on it's own, FANTASTIC!!!!

Wings

Nov 7, 2008
U.K
Look's amazing mate shame we haven't got forest's like that over here in the U.K
Thank's for the picture's though

regards,Jordan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE