Bushcraft in Northern Japan. Fauna and Flora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2008
Hokkaido, Japan
Sorry i know this is Bushcraft UK and all but i was wondering if anyone has any links or info on edible flora and fauna in Northern Japan (hokkaido). Im an expat living in the middle of some beautiful sub alpine forest but most of the species are new to me especially fungi. ( a bear is still a bear though whatever language you are using!). Literally any info would be appreciated, id especially like to hear from people whove been to this beautiful part of the world.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I've never been and can't be of much help re. your query but I and I'm sure many others look forward to seeing some pictures if you have any. Oh and welcome to the site. :D

Jun 16, 2008
Hokkaido, Japan
thanks for the welcome guys. great site, even better due to the fact you cant get Ray Mears on japanese TV! ill get some snaps up when i get organized. cheers

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I spent two years living in Kyushu far to the south, the only advice I can give is keep an eye out for the Shufu no mise .......

Housewifes shops..bit like a Spar. ;)...other than that keep warm!

Jun 16, 2008
Hokkaido, Japan
the shufu no mise and onsens are one of the great things about japan! theres nothing like dropping in to a volcanic hotspring naked after a days hiking! did you see the habu or the mamushi pit vipers at all down in kyushu? ive been told the mamushi is all over hokkaido and quite dangerous but have yet to get a good description of one out of anyone reliable.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
the shufu no mise and onsens are one of the great things about japan! theres nothing like dropping in to a volcanic hotspring naked after a days hiking! did you see the habu or the mamushi pit vipers at all down in kyushu? ive been told the mamushi is all over hokkaido and quite dangerous but have yet to get a good description of one out of anyone reliable.

The only snake I saw while I was there was small and brown, I have no idea what it was.:eek:
On the other hand I did have an encounter with the mother of all Spiders :yikes: that still gives me the willies today :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE