bushcraft , foraging in cornwall (help & ideas WANTED ) for learners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Me and my llittle family are going to cornwall this weekend and I'm after a few tips / ideas things to do to entertain the Little oiks.
I know a good clean no boating , sewage etc beach that we are planning to hunt mussels on .
And I'm planning to try find some razor clams as well.
Also I've got my hands on some prawn traps but have no real idea how to go about using them effectively.
so I could use some help there as well.

But thats it thats all I can think of doing In respects of FORAGING and I really want to gather a decent meal for my boys and missus to enjoy on the beach.

*can anyone give me some pointers to best plant life sea life or tastiest seaweeds .
*best way to use the prawn traps .
*could I hunt down raw materials to melt down later maybe to teach them about forging.
*any good known locations near bude, cornwall with bushcraft in mind.
*Pagan/wiccan or historical hidden spots of interest.
*what would be good bait for catching fresh water eel (only for boys to see and learn ) was planning on using a Native American fish trap.
Native-American-fish-trap-Wilderness-Survival.jpg

Any ideas very much appreiacted

And the witchcraft museum close by at Boscastle (10 minutes drive from Tintagel) has a lot of wiccan artifacts

Forgot about that un

if in cornwall i recommend you get a book on the ghost stories of the area (usually loads about) then visit some of the places
we used to do that on dartmoor (i know devon not cornwall) added a certain feel reading the myths/legends of the tors then visiting them

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Don't forget the Arthurian Centre, Slaughterbridge, Camelford. Very near Tintagel and has an exhibition etc.
Battle next weekend too.

http://www.arthur-online.co.uk/

man_of_tanith
Dartmoor navigator
boatman
cheers for those ideas they are all very good .the ghost stories are genius I'll get googling . We've been to the witchcraft museum. tintagel castle ,merlins cave etc . not the Arthurian Centre, Slaughterbridge or Camelford.
so cheers for that.
And where and when is the battle my boys would love that .

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
And the witchcraft museum close by at Boscastle (10 minutes drive from Tintagel) has a lot of wiccan artifacts

+1 for Boscastle and the witchcraft museum, fascinating, lovely people and they let dogs in....hmmmm, you don't get that with too many other religions!!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
thats one for next year 120 mile there and back from our campsite hoping to stay in near lands end again then . But thanks for the loccation heads up mate

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
setting a prawn trap tonight hoping to catch some for bait . Went collecting mussles today from sandy mouth beach cornwall . change there water later scrub them up for tomorrow. yum yum

Mar 18, 2012
london
I have picked mussels quite a lot in Cornwall, seems to be about the best place in the UK especially for growing mussels, i can honestly say, the only preparation for me is to de-beard them and scrap the occasional barnacle (only because on cooking the break off) Big saucepan butter onion/shallots/garlic and a few glugs of wine from sea to mouth in twenty minutes, absolutely delicious, BUT, have a walk around various beaches first, at low tide, the closer to each other the better, if there are houses around in particular check for drainage pipes, water running off hills slopes grasslands that have cattle or sheep in them, if the beach remains dry at low tide, just cook n eat, and enjoy!! as for not eating the unopened ones, rubbish!!!!!providing you have steamed/cooked them for at least five minutes they are fine, i am not a fan of water changes if the water is from the tap, kills the mussels quite quickly, i have cooked them in a little seawater and the were fine, bit salty but edible, oh, and while picking why not try cooking up some seaweed to go with? most are edible, i like to cook some bread in the ashes while picking the mussels, lovely!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE