Beach Foraging in Cornwall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I am going away to Cornwall next week (not far from Falmouth) and fancy doing a bit of foraging for plants & shell fish. I'd especially like to get a few razor clams as I've never tried them.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a likely beach in the area where I might have some luck.

Many thanks Rich

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I am heading down to cornwall bank holiday august and was thinking of doing the same thing, although isn't there a rule that you shouldn't collect shellfish when there isn't an "r" in the month? Does this apply to razor clams too?

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Here's a couple of places I've tried and had a modicum of success Carne beach near Veryan, or Par beach near St Austell. Par beach provided the best results although it is further from Falmouth. Don't know about the "R" in the month bit.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
AFAIK the "rule" is a rule of thumb and it is that you SHOULD only eat shellfish when there IS an R in the month. I think this is that same as what BushcraftBob says, but I'm struggling working out all the negatives! :D

Basically I think it's to do with water quality:
Months with R: colder water = less nasty bacteria.
Months without R: warmer water = more nasty bacteria = dodgy guts.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Have a look on the Sas website for clean beaches down Cornwall. Got to say water quality varies alot and if the water is full of crap shellfish will be too.
Dave
(sorry SAS = Surfers against Sewage)

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Things may have changed in recent years (correct me if I'm wrong) but I would say don't go to Par beach, there is a sewage outlet nearby and it has a bad rep for cleanliness in general.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I think that the r in the month rule has more to do with their breeding season than anything else.

I always guessed it was something to do with the red tides. Looking into it, some species breed in these moths, so quality would be awful. Also, is appears to have a root in the olden days when there was no refridgeation and shellfish caught in the hot months, with an r in them, would rapidly spoil.

beca_jayne

Aug 17, 2011
cornwall
hey..

i apologise for my spelling in advance...

i know this thread was from a long time ago, but thought i would reply incase any newbee's have a look.

im from cornwall, near falmouth, and a great little place to grab muscles and other shellfish is up by pendennis point, head to little pendennis castle, not pendennis castle, its a little point a minute away, with a car park and look out points from the war (about two minutes drive from gulienvase beach) not only is this a beautiful spot, but the rocks are easily accesible and there are tonns of muscles here, and the rockpools have shrimp (tide dependent).

another great place is in mylor, mylor bride i think (just ask for the port) here, every evening, a bunch of locals bring their fishing rods and catch macrel for their tea as the tides change, you are almost alway sgarenteed to catch something here (although havnt been for a few years as im a veggie now). not only this but pollock is a common catch too. be careful or the garr fish, these are common and too bony to eat, but they make great bate. not only this but big crabs cling to the harbor wall here, and a bit of string with bread on it is a definate fave, i've never cooked a crab from here, but we would catch them quite easily and throw them back in the water.

in the warmer months, blackberries boom in cornwall, remeber not to pick them from foot level cos dogs will have peed on them, and also avoid those from the roadside, if you ask any local, most will have a fave spot for picking.

if you check out the local book stores (theres a waterstones in truro) there are a wide selection of books about places to forrage in cornwall etc, so it might be worth checking out one of those to.

good luck :)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Things may have changed in recent years (correct me if I'm wrong) but I would say don't go to Par beach, there is a sewage outlet nearby and it has a bad rep for cleanliness in general.

That and the fact par docks is in sight just next to the beach! Bleh! Wouldn't even go for a walk there let alone forage! :)

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I'm off to Cornwall on Friday, and planning to go foraging (also hoping for razors - mmmmm).

I was just planning on trawling the north coast and swapping tips from locals for a pint.

Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE