bushcraft & cycling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi everyone i want too combine cycling with bushcraft and wild camping..anyone done it good or bad idea..i am planning on cycling the Great Glen Cycle Routein april/ may.. i am thinking of buying some paniers for the bike whats your veiws on this...atb shogun

Last edited:

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
sounds like a no bad idea, i had considered it myself in the past but never got round tuit.

i prefer to amble around though i think you take in more than when your on a bike the bike is a means to cover more ground faster, whereas im usually in no hurry when im out. so see no need however if i did not have a car to get me close to where i want then definitely i would cycle more.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28302

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
alright stooboy i dont drive so i was thinking i can get too more places as i can cover a lot more ground cycling...thanx for the link..i have the same gt bike...atb shogun

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi shogun.

I'm in exactly the same place, I got myself a decent mountain bike last year (Trek 4300) which can get me off road enough to find good campsites. I've got used to riding it now and for chrimbo I got these panniers:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...7&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003119c003126

which are really good for the price.

I can fit my spring/summer camping kit in a 35ltr rucksack so I reckon I can get away for a few days with the 40ltr capacity of these. I'll probably add some sort of Camelback type thing too.

I think its a great idea. Fancy a trip sometime this year? I'm also hoping to do the artemis100 if you're interested.

Regards

Rob

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
cheers locum76 thanx for the link the panniers are a good price too..yeah i am defos up for a trip..that bike you got the trek 4300..i sold that last summer for 150 too my m8..as i got the gt agressor the gt is a nice bike but the trek is a lot lighter...atb shogun

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Apparently there is a problem with those kind of racks which is they don't bear much weight over long distances. They're obviously ideal for bikes without frame dropout points though....

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i also have too get a rack but i have been told its hard too get a good rack for mountian
bikes...

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
shogun, stay in touch. I'll put you on my 'friends' list and give you a shout if I'm off on one. :)

Jan 2, 2009
Finland
i rode 1000k in australia camping wild half the time its a great way to travel and its always possible to leave the bike with some of the gear and go for a walk (gives your butt a rest).

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I try to balance outdoor fast and outdoor slow. The former involves quite a lot of mountain-biking, and I once cycled to and from an overnighter.

Unfortunately, I think carrying kit detracts from the fun of the cycling and you get the worst of both worlds.

As a simple means of transport though I think it's a great idea. Just get to camp in time for a nice slow bimble after your ride and accept that the riding is going to be a bit of a slog.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Combining two activities which you enjoy should be enjoyable, different, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Epic Designs design and make great gear for adventure cycling, here's their website.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi helixpteron thanx for the link i would like some of that stuff from Epic Designs ...looks good..cheers shogun..

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hi shogun.

I'm in exactly the same place, I got myself a decent mountain bike last year (Trek 4300) which can get me off road enough to find good campsites. I've got used to riding it now

--snip --

I can fit my spring/summer camping kit in a 35ltr rucksack so I reckon I can get away for a few days with the 40ltr capacity of these. I'll probably add some sort of Camelback type thing too.

-- snip --

Regards

Rob

Hi there,

I did a fair bit of cyclo-bushcraft until laid up last year with a bust ankle/ligament probs.

My bike an old hybrid MTB has racks/panniers front and rear. You won't get anywhere fast lugging gear around but you get there.

The only worry for me was leaving the bike unattended, secured but unattended.

A 35/40L bergen when cycling isn't an easy option but can be done. I find it easier to let the bike take the strain but it can take it's toll on the spokes etc unless you have a "tourer" bike.

Out of my price range TBH.

I cycled from Fountainbridge to Falkirk Wheel and then to Bowling and back over a couple of days the other year. Relaxing outing (not bushcraft per se) but Canal routes though flat, wind their way back and forth and are longer than the "as the crow flies" road routes.

Give me a shout Rob.

Liam

Last edited:

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
Hi shogun.

I think its a great idea. Fancy a trip sometime this year? I'm also hoping to do the artemis100 if you're interested.

Regards

Rob

Hi there, me and a mate did a 3 day 100 mile road ride around the new forest dorset last year, we were drinking the local beer and diving in the woods in the evening (whwn no one was looking) setting up hammocks and tarps and generally having a great time. I am a school teacher (as is my mate) so we did this during the summer holidays. Hard going at times but the ride was thoroughly enjoyable, loads of ferrel onies, cows, pigs and roe/red deer in the new forest. I use the forest all the time, im a voulenteer ranger so i know it quite well.

If you guys wanted a good ride, and good camping (legal or not) let me know. I might even join ya.:camping:

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
I think the problem is, that with all this stuff straped to your bike, you shouldn't try serious mountainbiking:eek:. I once tried it and it was terrible!:goodnight: If you want to take your stuff for an overnighter, then don't leave the gravel forest roads.goodjob If you want a singletrail ride, only take smallest possible amount of gear in a small pack.:You_Rock_
And check out on various MTB forums about disc brakes! There are a lot good ones, as long as they're hydraulic and have big discs (180mm and 203mm are common in Germany). In Britain they often sell them only with 160mm!:dunno: That's ok, if you do -50m on one run, but for longer downhill sections: They don't stand it:BlueTeamE. Look at what they use around the alps!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE