Bushcraft books ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Morning, I'm thinking of buying these books Lars Falt ''using a knife'' and a survival book by Sam Fury, Anyone read them and give the thumbs up.
Cheers

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What have those guys got for skills to learn? Are they the sorts of books that you could take on the track? Something to mess with after you strike camp?
I drive the big vehicle (seats 8 in a squeeze). I can't possibly keep up to my much more mobile friends in our insane thirst for Ruffed Grouse forest birds here. I have a bag of ropes of different sizes, maybe even a project (chest beckets). I take Des Pawson's KNOTS book. It has kept me busy for years.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire

The Lars Falt book is a Learner for Kids / newbies apparently.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

The Lars Falt book is a Learner for Kids / newbies apparently.

I've got lots of time for Lars.

This Sam Fury ( coooool name.... must be genuine ) is a new one on me but he seems quite an eclectic writer..

Sam Fury has had a passion for survival, evasion, resistance, and escape (SERE) training since he was a young boy growing up in Australia.

This led him to years of training and career experience in related subjects, including martial arts, military training, and outdoor pursuits.

These days, he spends his time refining his skills and sharing what he learns via his books and blog.

www.SurvivalFitnessPlan.com.

MORE BY SAM FURY

*Book Compilations*

Survival Fitness

Kung Fu for Self-Defense

Complete Vortex Control Self-Defense

Escape, Evasion, and Survival

Sustainable Living

How to do Basic Magic Tricks

*Survival Fitness*

Essential Parkour Training

Emergency Roping and Bouldering

Survival Swimming

Daily Health and Fitness

Wholly Healthy

*Self-Defense*

The Self-Defense Handbook

Ground Fighting Techniques to Destroy Your Enemy

Basic Wing Chun Training

Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do

How to do Chi Sao

Practical Escrima Knife Defense

Practical Arnis Stick Fighting

*Escape, Evasion, and Survival*

Evading and Escaping Capture

Evasive Wilderness Survival

Wilderness and Travel Medicine

The Disaster Survival Handbook

The Useful Knots Book

*Sustainable Living*

DIY Sustainable Home Projects

*Close-up Magic*

Basic Card Magic

Easy Magic Tricks

Think I'd take a pass.

• Haha
Reactions: C_Claycomb

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
When anyone asks about books, I like to remind them of this thread:

I don't know either of the books in question, but a quick look at the two makes me lean towards the Lars Falt book and away from the Sam Fury, even though I have no interest in a learning book for kids. Maybe if I had had a chance to look at them in a store I would feel different, but trying to judge books by their covers (and what I can see about their author), an have some doubts about the Sam Fury one. I think it is going to be very basic and rather shallow.

While Sam Fury sounds an interesting and motivated person, his work as an author is a bit too prolific and varied for me to expect depth or detail. I rather stopped counting his paperbacks on Amazon after hitting 20;
  1. self defence,
  2. parkour,
  3. fitness,
  4. knots,
  5. survival,
  6. rock climbing,
  7. street fighting,
  8. sustainable living,
  9. wilderness medicine
  10. Escape and Evasion,
  11. JKD,
  12. magic tricks
  13. card magic,
  14. survival swimming,
  15. water rescue,
  16. ...and so on.
I think of the authors who I really rate, whose books I think are really good, and they tend to have written one or two books, maybe a handful, and been narrowly focused having spent a significant part of their lives acquiring the knowledge to write well and authoritatively about that subject. The page examples from one of the street fighting books that I saw on-line have only reinforced my opinion.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If E&E / SERE interests you there is a tonne of free stuff on the USROG forum.

They also did a book some time back ( more a backroom publication ) but I can't remember the name even although I have a copy somewhere.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
Mr Fury seems well"handy",i for one wouldn't want to mess with him,and to be honest if you were stranded somewhere with him,he could whip the old cards out and morale would be instantly lifted.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Wow yeah I've just had a look at the Diversity of Sam Fury's plethora of Knowledge and as for Fury I don't think his publicist would say that to him, more likely to say lets do more. maybe a festive cook book.
Glad I asked cheers for bailing me out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE