Bushcraft before breakfast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Hi all,

As I've mentioned previously I have two small children. As a consequence I tend to be up early.

I've seen a book recently call Art Before Breakfast suggesting people take the time to be creative with art in whatever free time they have, not necessarily before breakfast but you get the idea.

Can anyone suggest some bushcrafty stuff to do before breakfast to make good use of my early starts?

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Not too bushcrafty but me/mostly the missus have been doing some geo caching with our 5 year old over the holidays. He absolutely loves it.scrambling about searching for the cache..just download the app geo caching intro n your off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
You could start putting some bird food out early in the morning and get the kids, not only just ID the birds but the identification of any wildlife in the garden, say the latin /scientific names at the same time, they will pick it up without even knowing its a different language, tell them there is good mushrooms and bad mushrooms, it only took about a week for my pals kids to about know as many mushrooms as me much, I have about 5 edibles under my belt. One of his kids was about maybe 5 or 7, I wouldn't leave a ferro rod lying around her any more, The other one I taught to shoot a slingshot, two lessons and and she could pop a hens egg at 5 yards, she went from missing a oil barrel 50/50 to a egg in about 5 minuets, You have fun and the kids will have a blast. Just take it on the chin when you get out cooled now and again.

I do two things in the early hours: wildlife viewing and "bushcrafts". The first is self explanatory. A lot of wild creatures are stirring at the start of the day. It's as easy as walking outside.

The second takes advantage of the fact that many of us are more creative in the morning hours. I do leatherwork, study field guides, carve, or make cordage. I can do all of these activities without leaving the house.

Hope this helps,

- Woodsorrel

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Shredded wheat burns ok. And that's all it's good for imo!

:lmao: I concur, never enjoyed it as a kid but in our house you ate what you were given or went without. Not eaten it since leaving school.

I am always up early and sometimes use that time to research topics of interest or plan trips away (though pricing jobs or drawing up cad plans is more usual), maybe prepping some small projects for them to make or try out that week, as kid's we made jewelry boxes from chocolate boxes encrusted with sea shells we had collected learning about the different types of shellfish along the way. There must be similar ideas for the coastally challenged amongst us too! ;)

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE