Bushcraft & Babies in Leeds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
I have a 6 month year old daughter and my partner starts her first day back at work tommorrow - so I'm charge of looking after her all day!
Besides doing some tidying in the morning I'm faced with the dilemma of what to do with her all day.
So I thought a bit of bushcrafting maybe in order, maybe get a wreath made for xmas and go and collect a few more natural xmas ornaments for the house, get a fire lit to warm her bottle ect.
So I was wondering if anyone had any tips for taking a baby in the woods for an afternoon?
Do I need to take anything extra that I would if I went to a local park?
Anyone got any recommendations for a baby carrier/rucksack that I can buy in the city centre?
Also I live in North Leeds and I'm easy going and 33 so if anyone else has youngish kids or babies and fancies coming also tommorow or arranging something in the future lets me know.

Nicolas

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Hi Nicolas,

I'm a full time house husband with 2 girls, a 2 and 4 yr old. I take them out on walks with books on trees and flora and fauna during the week when they're not at nursery. The problems i had when my youngest was under a year old was feeding times. The amount of gumpf you have to carry to warm a bottle, heat food etc made it a trek and a half although a billy tin with a small stove soon sorts that out. If you intend on stopping then possibly a large golfing umbrella for shelter.

Also i found that the gentle pushing of a pushchair/buggy would send her to sleep half the time.

For baby stuff i'd take the usual nappies, wipes, bips etc plus a waterproof change mat, so nothing really extra except a book or two.

I'm in York so i tend to head out to Dalby Forest with it's cafes and clear paths. You can easily lose a day up there or i head out to Lord Stones Cafe with a kite.
Oh don't forget a camera aswell, you never know when that perfect kiddie shot will present itself :lmao:

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I was a house husband also, though Nikki is 22 now. I went for the front loading papoose option, that meant I could still get a rucksack on with all the 'stuff', I used a thermos for milk and food. Word of warning, you are going to attract the attentions of a lot of mothers when they see you with your baby, you end up taking on some mythical paternal superman status. You have to watch how you tell the other half about your new friends... ; )
Most of all enjoy the time you spend together,
jon

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Word of warning, you are going to attract the attentions of a lot of mothers when they see you with your baby, you end up taking on some mythical paternal superman status. You have to watch how you tell the other half about your new friends... ; )
Most of all enjoy the time you spend together,
jon

I couldn't agree more. Still have to be careful on nursery runs :eek:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi, I am also presently employed as a house husband at the moment due to being on the sick from a bushcraft injury 7 weeks ago. I have a 17 month old son and 4 and 5 year old step daughters who all love being out and about.The girls were doing 4.5 mile walks when they were 2 and 3 (Ingleton Falls) and they loved it, the youngest of the 2 has more stamina than you could believe and was leading the way all way round lol. Harry (my son) has also been on a few walks with us. I carry the little terror around in one of these
http://www.littlelife.co.uk/carriers/3/index.htm

They are pretty good and have just enough room for the essentials as well as being both supportive and comfortable for him. I am unable to go out much during the week as i have to do 3 school runs a day with the girls or i'd gladly come along i live in Batley so we aren't far apart. Weekends would be ok most of the time unless the other half has to work.

I've never really taken him out when i go bushcrafting so it would be interesting to say the least as he's fully mobile now and into everything. I have built a fire pit in the back garden and he sits with me staring at a fire entranced for ages. Its good to see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE