Bushcooker/Bushbuddy Problem

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
The Bush Cooker is excellent, but I have a slight problem - some the wood falls through the wire grate which can be inconvenient, especially if you have to tip the wood out just to remove the rouge twigs - Is there anyway to solve this?

Just another question, has anybody used The Bush Cooker lite (Not the Bushbuddy Mini)? - It doesn't seem as popular as the regular size.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I haven't had that myself, but (and I may be hijacking the thread here, so I can start a new one if people prefer) I tend to find that it needs almost constant attention to keep it burning well (i.e. monitoring the burn and adding bits of wood carefully to keep it burning optimally). This isn't a criticism, just a comment, but I wondered if others had found the same thing. If I leave it for a few minutes to go off and do something else, it's more often than not gone out when I get back and needs to be got back to life again.

Geoff

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
Oh yeah most definatly, I believe it's the good air flow that makes it burn at high intesity that makes it burn out really quickly - The embers are really hot though and re-starting it is no problem for me.

Mar 18, 2009
Lancs
I've had that happen a couple of times to my bushcooker, so i cut a bit of chicken wire, dropped it in over the top to make a smaller grid works fine.

Podcast Bob

In use, once you get the Bush Cooker going, I've found it is easy enough to fill it up with the thicker twigs and leave it going.

As the wood is heated, it releases a gas and that reignites to burn more efficiently. Once the embers reduce, there is usually a good bed of heat, and a few twigs soon fire back it up again.

I've not found the problem you describe, so perhaps you are using twigs which are too fine, if they keep falling through? If not, then perhaps a fine mesh grill placed over the top of the fire box grill, would help, and you would still get the air flow?

All fires require attendance, it isn't designed to be a bonfire, stacked high and left. It is a small efficient burner which is designed to make the most out of the smallest handful of fuel in a minimum impact kind of way. As such it requires appropriate steady feeding of fuel. Personally I find it quite cosy when lying in a bivvy, under a tarp waiting for my brew. But each to their own.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
With my Bushbuddy, I have found that I need to get my firewood prepared first - i.e. loads of pencil to finger thickness twigs about 2 - 3 inches long - then sit back and let it do its stuff. I very rarely get to the bottom of my pile before whatever I am cooking is cooked but would agree that the reason it can burn stuff quickly is because it gets so hot in there. All in all, however, it uses precious little fuel for what you get out of it and it is usually possible to find enough dry twigs almost anywhere.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
Unlike with most wood burners and certainly an open fire (though that's really a different class), careful placement of wood doesn't seem necassary - I just collect two piles of wood, thicker twigs (but not too long - about finger length) and finer twigs - I put the finer twigs in very densly and light it with a small amount of tinder which seems to catch exceedenly well. I then add the thicker twigs which I find catch even if the fire has only been going a minute or so though if your trying not to get through too much wood - use alot of finer twigs untill the stove has really heated up then when you use the thicker twigs - you will be using all of the potential of woodgas ignition.

Of course, everybody has their own way to do it and really to experiment with but it is a very ingenius, simple and impressive piece of engineering which is easy to use.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I too have noticed the bushcooker needs constant attention. I personally find it better to place thicker twigs on the bottom and light from the top down. That may get around the problem of the smaller stuff falling through the grid. All in all though, make sure there is nothing else to do, and concentrate on the cooking for 10-15 mins.

Its all about taking time and getting away from the rush-rush routine of western life.

With the Titanium Tibetan 1100 pot, makes it really light and easy to set up anywhere.

Have fun

Tim

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
The Bush Cooker is excellent, but I have a slight problem - some the wood falls through the wire grate which can be inconvenient, especially if you have to tip the wood out just to remove the rouge twigs - Is there anyway to solve this?

Just another question, has anybody used The Bush Cooker lite (Not the Bushbuddy Mini)? - It doesn't seem as popular as the regular size.

I have a bushbuddy light which performs great I use twigs about the thickness off a pencil they must be dry to get it going, then use larger ones about the size of a a3 battery to keep it going do some backyard bushcraft to perfect it

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I also have a bushbuddy.. and if I may a few tips I picked up..

1. Light the bushbuddy in you hand at head height and head level tip it over this allows air to circulate better
2. Start with small sticks then quickly move to larger sticks.

3. Once you have a good burn feed longer large stick in the gap between the pot botton and the bushbuddy fuel hole when the sticks burn down push them in further this dries the top of th wood a little then feed in some more.

4. Always have a blow pipe when you fill up with damp wood use the pipe to blow up the flames again.

I did this for a whole evning in the ardeche once its nice and romatic ;)

and by the way what is actually the problem with the sticks getting stuck ?? they still burn right ?

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
Not always, but I'm going to try and use thicker sticks in future - Something to experiement with.
Why would you need a blow pipe to blow it? Wouldn't you just blow it in the ordinary manner?

rg598

Native
I got tired with my bushbuddy. It is fun to use, but a bit too much playing around for a stove I have to carry. In the end I would rather make a fire in most cases. Burners that ignite the fumes work best if they are big and tall. A portable version like the bushbuddy requires care to use. I have however found that pine cones work great.

I've never used the mini or any other version, so I don't know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE