Bushbuddy Stove - An initial review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just made one of these today and it works well

used a sainsburys baked bean can for the inner and a Sansburys 1200gm Dog food tin for the outer
is a bit high as im not going to cut the Dog food tin down it has a nice safty edge

started with to littl air intothe bottom of the combustion chamber which buned well but when teh wood gas ran out the Charcol produced wouldnt burn
have now opened the air holes out a bit and just end up with a nice fine ash

been shopping to day and have been buying buy tin size :rolleyes: :D

the 850 gm dog food tin is much shorter :cool: :D

atb

duncan

gstove1.jpg

this was the first Burn its weird watching smoke roll over the wood like mist in the mountains and the smokeless flame burning above it
was made with just a hammer and a screw driver sharpened to a Chisel

and took 30mins now ive worked it out probablt only 15 mins

H

Heathenpeddler

FGYT - how did you make that? Any chance of a tutorial?

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
Cheers Pablo on the merit of your initial review and top notch video I ordered a Bushbuddy from Fritz.

It arived today , it was sent out on the 3rd of this month and I didn't get any extra tax etc.. so it was a fast service.
I have been playing with it in the back garden. Like you said it is made very well and although quite expensive I do think it is worth it as I feel it will last a very long time. I boiled up some water in a 12cm billy can and it took no time at all, then I fryed a egg over it in a normal kitchen frying pan. It worked like a treat.

I am off to the woods at the weekend on my Dads mates farm and cant wait to use it in the wilds, should be good as I am aloud to get up to what ever I want.

So thanks for the review, I know have a great bit of kit that will go on all future trips with me.

Cheers John.

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
Hi all,
Just joined up as Iv'e been struck with the camping/fishing bug again. Maybe I got my fingers in to many pies at the moment? What with designing a Bicycle Trailer/Tent - Bike Lights - Means of power while im away on trips.

This leads me to camping cookers.
I bought just a simple gas burning cooker similar to this...
http://www.rvgadgets.net/db/images/portable_camping_stove.jpg. but then though about carrying all that gas! -(I'll still take this with me, just not 20 gas cans :) ).

Browsing around I came across numerious woodburning stoves. I like the simplicity & efficiency of the WoodGas Stove.
I was in woolworth today (Its closing down you know. Get yourselves there and grab the cheap stuff before its gone.) and while there I saw some nice cheap tins that I think may make a woodgas stove. So its out with the tools.

I'll keep you all abreast of my progress or failures in this endeavor.

Meanwhile I'll probably do a post on the trailer tent im in the process of Designing/Building.

Tom C

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I've got one and the review below was by me. It's a great little stove and well recommended. It's perhaps not quite as nice as the more expensive Bushbuddies but good all the same.

Nice review Pablo.

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
For your info, there is a European (Netherlands) made stove which looks identical to the bushbuddy - called bushcooker (http://www.bushcooker.com/BUSHCOOKER.htm).
Very similar in price as well, but you do not have to worry about and VAT (and import taxes, afaik) - as it comes from within the EU.
Reviews I've read in the past rate them about the same.

seg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE