Bushbuddy Stove - An initial review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I’ve not had a lot of luck with wood burning stoves, nor in fact in my quest for any type of lightweight stove. Come to think of it, apart from the good old Trangia, I’ve had no joy with stoves at all.

I’ve tried the Pocketcooker (too heavy) and even made my own hobo stove (too big.) I’ve also tried combining elements of different stoves like the hexy burner stand, Trangia burner and billy into a Heath Robinson type of cooking unit (too inefficient). What I really want is an all in one efficient, reasonable small (fit inside 12cm or 14 cm billy) lightweight unit with a wood burning stove as a base but capable of being adapted for other fuels that I can use for all occasions. Not much to ask eh?

I spotted the Bushbuddy at the Bucks meet and thought this might be the answer. I ordered one and it duly arrived last week. Herewith, an initial review.

DSCN1952.jpg

The Bushbuddy comes in two versions; the standard version and an ultra-light version. According to the maker, Fritz Handel from Bushbuddy, Canada, it’s an improved version of the Trekstov. I elected to go for the standard version which weighs in at 6 oz.

The dimensions are 4 ¼ inches diameter and 3 ¾ inches high when nested. The stand part fits snugly into the burner unit. You can add another couple of inches when the stand is placed on top of the burner unit. It is surprisingly stable even though there are no physical clips to connect the two parts of the unit. The unit is made of 18% chromium and 8% nickel and the grate is nichrome wire. All this means nothing to me but it may to you. Roughly translated I guess it means it’s designed to last.

DSCN1953.jpg

The most unique difference between this and other stoves is that it’s double skinned. This gives the stove an opportunity to preheat secondary combustion air making it clean burning and efficient. There are vent holes at the bottom of the outer skin and at the top of the inner skin.

The first time I used the unit, the birch bark ignited flame went out in my over-enthusiasm to load in the small twigs, but amazingly, I blew it back into life. The second time I had no problem at all firing up the unit by adding small twigs and gradually working up to finger length and thicker wood. Once the billy (or even crusader cup) was fitted to the top of the stove, wood can be fed through the gap created between the stove and the stand. This is less fiddly than it sounds.

Because of the low profile of the unit, the whole thing is pretty stable, but I would be aware of uneven ground when using the stand. An option would be a wooden dangler of course. Because of the double skin, there’s no scalding of the ground in fact you can move the unit by placing fingers at the very bottom of the stove. Err…don’t do this when you’ve got boiling water on the go. Did I need to say that? Yes, I probably did!

My highly scientific test involved boiling half a litre of water in a covered crusader cup. There was no wind and the temperature was about 10 degrees C. Not exactly testing conditions, but suitable for a first go. After three minutes the stove was hot enough to put the water on. After 8 minutes, I had a rolling boil. Now that’s not bad. Of course, things may be different in more adverse conditions, and I’ll certainly let you know how I get on during the winter.

DSCN1951.jpg

Fritz does admit that the stove isn’t so efficient in windy conditions; therefore, it’s worth spending some time finding a sheltered location. I might just get myself a wind shield.

Obviously with wood stoves, it’s not that easy to regulate the heat. As already mentioned a wood dangler might be the solution, but it's also worth experimenting with how much wood you feed the stove; for example adding a single larger piece of wood for simmering. I very quickly got used to this and ended up making a full English breakfast without any sign of blackening, burning, sticking or barbeque syndrome (outside cooked – inside cold). The instructions enclosed with the unit described some of these techniques which will be handy to the wood burning stove novice.

It’s easy to rave about a new product that is brand new and still all but shiny, but I think that my Bushbuddy and I are going to get along fine.

My final test was to drop the civilian Trangia burner inside. This was part of my own specification for an all in one portable cooking solution. It fitted a treat. Perhaps there might be a requirement to rest the burner on the lid for optimum height, but I can probably live with that.

How much? Yeah, well it’s not cheap. 100 Canadian dollars. That’s might be acceptable if you live in Canada. If you live in UK, you have to consider running the gauntlet of the VAT man, import tax and Royal Snail Mail handling charges. You have to buy it directly from Bushbuddy.ca as there are no UK suppliers.

What you get is great support including personal emails from Fritz which is very refreshing and a great product. He packed and dispatched it the day after I ordered it and warned me of the possible length of time it would take to arrive.

Now, all I have to do now is tell Mrs Pablo that I’ve got a new Bushbuddy. I bet she’ll say, “Who is she then?”

There's a video of the review on my blog.

Pablo.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So, the acid question. Dose it nest inside a 12cm Billy?

Not cheap as you say but if it works and lasts, not outrageous either. I'll look forward to hearing a long term report

Red

B

bosknurft

Fritz does admit that the stove isn’t so efficient in windy conditions; therefore, it’s worth spending some time finding a sheltered location. I might just get myself a wind shield.

That's a shame; in my own (unsuccessful) attempts to construct a wood gas stove, I've found that a double-walled construction can burn adequately without a windshield, as long as the outer intake holes are located on only one side.

Nevertheless, very interesting review, Pablo. While I don't think the Bushbuddy is the stove for me, hearing someone else's thoughts on the subject has certainly re-kindled my interest in experimenting with them.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Red - Yes it does fit inside the 12 cm Billy.

Personally, I can't see there being a great problem with the wind - especially in woodland. Perhaps the manufacturer is referring to open ground. It was designed for backpackers/hikers I understand.

Ogri - Santa might come via Canada :D

Pablo.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've just ordered one from Fritz in Canada. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to get here and how hungry the Customs and Excise leeches are.

I like the look and construction of the stove - combining the ability to burn wood and use a Trangia-style meths burner - and I've already set aside a piece of heavy-duty aluminium foil that came with an MSR stove years ago to act as a windshield. I'll also give it a go with an Antigravity Gear recycled tin can stove to see if that works. From what I've read, it seems a versatile piece of kit; however, time and use will tell...

I look forward to your fuller and more detailed review.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Oh damn,
I'm getting a stabbing pain in my wallet!

Thats all I need right now

Being a practicle person you might want to try making something similar, the basic components of my Hoblow stove gives something about the same size. I get away with using so few holes on the burner box as it's forced air, for free flowing air you'll need somewhat more to burn cleanly.

For the mark1 I used a small, tapered, salmon tin as the firebox, which was slighlty oversized but with a bit, well a lot, of forcing it went in. I can't vouch for how well it would stand up to the heat with lots of holes drilled in the bottom though and it won't be anywhere near as pretty or probably longlasting and has a smaller firebox but all the components come to about £15, offset against which you have a couple of tins of food and drink powder and a couple of cans of Greenheat. If you've got an empty 1lt tin of paint and a small tin of salmon it might be worth checking it it would fit.

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
I got my Bushbuddy in September and I can confirm that dealing with Fritz is a pleasant and courteous experience. It arrived unmolested by Customs, although I have heard that others have been stung for up to £34!

I carry a spare windshield from MSR Whisperlite but on a recent overnighter I always found that I was sheltered enough to do without it. I do use the windshield when I'm on a campsite though.

The stove remains cool enough to pick up at the base and stand on the palm of my hand even when going full belt for two or three hours. Three hours continuous use produces less than than half a tea cup of ashes.

This one will have to be pried away from my cold....etc!

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Just what I needed, another item to add to the list of "must"-haves.
My wallet is now in the corner of the room, making strange screeching noices at me.

Great review, Pablo!
Keep up the good work and let us know what it's like in the long run.

/ Karl

nice review any chance of more detaled photos of the inside without anything in it ;)

from the inital stuff posted in the Best Stove thread i found these on wood gas stoves which show the construction (repeat of links from other thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wc8aqW4XBs < Big one

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3297/index.html < small one how to make

i assume for best effecency you need to keep the wood below the top air holes ???

this is i guess a similer Stove though it uses a fan and batteries to force the air flow
and is a bit bigger and lot heavier but is half the price. there seems to be a how it works diagram even i can understand :D

http://www.woodgascampstove.com/index.html

ATB

Duncan

Gailainne

Life Member
Nice write up, it looks like a nicely put together unit. I mucked about with a home made version of a gassifier stove, heres the link, one of the problems is the use of steel cans which rust up pretty quick, your stove looks like it will maintain its looks (and be easier to clean) for a long time. I also bought one of these which uses an electric fan powered by 2 aa batteries, its a nice bit of kit.

Stephen

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
nice review any chance of more detaled photos of the inside without anything in it ;)
Duncan

Duncan, You can get a better view of the inside by looking at my vid.

I would imagine that it's better to keep the wood below the upper vent holes.

It took two weeks to arrive and appears not to have been intercepted by our friends a C&E. You can add up to another week perhaps even longer if they get there sticky, thieving paws on it.

Pablo.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
One thing that concerns me is the battery life.
I don't want to have to carry loads of batteries for a weekend, but I have been thinking of getting a dynamo LED torch which could act as a rechargeable power source. The Imrisk item looks like an accetptable substitute but theres something about stainless steel that looks so much more professional. I'll have a play and see what I think works best.

Cheers guys

Ogri the trog

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I don't want to have to carry loads of batteries for a weekend, but I have been thinking of getting a dynamo LED torch which could act as a rechargeable power source. The Imrisk item looks like an accetptable substitute but theres something about stainless steel that looks so much more professional. I'll have a play and see what I think works best.

Cheers guys

Ogri the trog

You could try and do something like James over at the Outdoors-Magazine.com
He's tried powering his fan with batteries and found that with his design, they last about 10-20 hours. He's also tried to drive the fan with a solar panel, but found it then doesn't have the same power as with the batteries.

You can find his article here

You can find his first draft to his review here, including comments and questions from the Outoors-Magazine members.

/ Karl

from the inital stuff posted in the Best Stove thread i found these on wood gas stoves which show the construction (repeat of links from other thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wc8aqW4XBs < Big one

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3297/index.html < small one how to make

i assume for best effecency you need to keep the wood below the top air holes ???

this is i guess a similer Stove though it uses a fan and batteries to force the air flow
and is a bit bigger and lot heavier but is half the price. there seems to be a how it works diagram even i can understand :D

http://www.woodgascampstove.com/index.html

ATB

Duncan

Duncan,

Here's a link to another web review (not as good as Pablo's!) which shows some stills of the interior of the firebox.

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1879

The best way of lighting this is as shown in Pablo's video - i.e. much as you would with a campfire. When the stove is hot enough, the flames are generated from the inner/ upper holes so you don't want to overfill it. When the embers are established you feed in larger/ thicker pieces of wood which cuts down on the feeding/ tending time.

Gailainne

Life Member

Cheers guys

Ogri the trog

I use aa batteries in most of the things I take along with me, and the things that don't, and my aa's can be recharged using a freeloader solar charger.

BTW I bought some of that ti that came in 12" width by x12" length, (If it ever arrives) I thought that might be worth a go with, the outdoors mag article certainly confirms is possible, should be a nice project.

Good stuff here guys, nice one.

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE