Bush pizza

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Get one of those pizza mixes they sell in bags, just add water, use half the pack, put a bit of the dry mix in your mess tin to stop it sticking, or make a bread like dish. Heat it up in a mess tin not getting it to hot, i like to get if off the bottom my putting it on a bit of mesh or foil after its cooked a bit. tomato puree, strong cheddar, onion, sliced sausage the ones they sell you dont keep in the fridge. Anything you like. put the other mess tin on top and let it cook mmm pick some Raisins and pineapple out of tropical fruit mix in the morning and soak them in a drop of cognac and stick them on is nice :)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Yes used them. dont go off, take a pack with you and hard to get squashed in your pack.

Years ago i thought taking a loaf of bread in a paper wraper on a weeks backpacking would be a good idea , After the first day the bag was in tatters and i had breadcrumbs everywhere. Pita bread is great inside a rucksack especially in ziplock bags.

I fancy trying pizza in the dutch oven sometime . get it nice and hot and it should cook in no time.

Craig.......

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Give it a go they cook well. I do like to get it off the base of the mess tin and having a top your cooking it from all around keeping the heat in. bread lol so easy to end up looking like something else, best to use it the first day if you really want to take some or make your own when needed.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you mix (gluten free works fine incidentally) equal amounts of SR flour with golden cornmeal (the stuff that polenta's made from) with a similar weight of grated mature cheddar and a couple of spoonsful of stock powder, it'll bag well and keep in your pack or camp quite easily.

Add sufficient water to make it into a thick pancake type mix. I use the brown oven liner parchment, the siliconised one, in the bottom of my pot, don't cut to fit just make it enough to line the bottom and up the sides a bit in one smooth sheet.
Pour in the batter and if you can cover it with a lid, do so, Takes about 20 minutes on a reasonable heat to cook properly, but it makes a great cheesy cornmeal bread that can happily be added to with onions, peppers, pepperoni, olives, chillis, or whatever you happen to fancy :)

Not only tasty, but the pot doesn't need scoured either :D

I use two soupspoonsful of SR flour. The same of cornmeal, two heaped ones of grated cheese and a couple of teaspoonsful of stock powder (Marigold or Knorr).
This makes a 20cm x 14 'cake' a couple of cms thick.
Brilliant with soup too :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE