Bush hats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I've been after one for ages, especially since my favourite jacket has no hood. I really like the Barmah bush hats and similar, and I figured I'd get one with my Christmas overtime pay (wohoo!). Trouble is, looking round the net, that in the US you'll find 'em for about 40-50 USD, while in the UK it's more like 50 pounds. Do I put up with the price or do you friendly folk know anywhere where I can get a similar kind of thing for less?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I seem to almost live in my Drizabone hat when out and about....from the cold damp of Ashdown the other month to the scorching heat of the Arizona desert last June.... I love it come rain or shine :biggthump

I think it cost me about 25 quid.....somewhere off the net... :eek:): (not Ebay for a change)lol

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I still live in hope of finding the perfect hat - something that is warm in winter, but shades the face, wards off rain, doesn't blow away, and looks good. And can be shoved in a pocket when not required.

There is no such thing of course. I guess when talking about bush hats you mean the broad brimmed variety. I have family out in Australia and they kindly gave me an Akubra Snowy River - apparently the best selling Akubra in Oz. Made of 'Imperial Quality' rabbit felt. It is very good - my preferred headgear in summer. Surprisingly waterproof. Very comfortable to wear and cool in hot sun. As you might expect, it is none too warm in winter, and can blow away in strong winds. The brim is maybe too broad for the UK.

Lots of people swear by Tilley hats. I like mine, but prefer the Akubra.

In winter I used to wear a deerstalker (not so unusual in these parts) but I found a very good but cheap (£5) hat by Gelert (gear snobs look away now....) - olive waterproof outer, peaked, fold down earflaps, thinsulate lined. Not particularly stylish, but excellent up on the hill.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The problem with any stiff brimmed hat is storage when not in use and catching on everything if the bush in bushcraft is really thick and tangled. I like the US issue 'boonie hat.' You can roll it up into a pack when not needed. For cold weather a balaclava is hard to beat and likewise is pack friendly.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
ChrisKavanaugh said:
The problem with any stiff brimmed hat is storage when not in use and catching on everything if the bush in bushcraft is really thick and tangled. I like the US issue 'boonie hat.' You can roll it up into a pack when not needed. For cold weather a balaclava is hard to beat and likewise is pack friendly.

I can roll up, flatten or just scrunch up my Drizabone, the brim is stiff enough to stay where I want it and soft enough to move when caught on branches etc....it's thin so cool in the heat and it's main advantage over the US boonie hat or British Army jungle hat is that it's waxed so waterproof in the rain.... unless it's really cold when a woolly hat or fleece hat takes over I wear my Drizabone everywhere... :eek:):

Here's me in it at Ashdown last month:

1128PICT0021.JPG

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Usually wear the Tilley when it's raining.It folds into a pocket when not needed.When it gets really filthy (usually with sweat) it gets bunged in the washing machine.Try that with fancy leather hats :naughty:

One problem with brims though,they obscure your vision of low branches and you're more likely to bang your head :shock: Still that also happens with peaked caps and hoods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE