Bush hat suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Afternoon all,

With the recent hot weather I’ve decided I need a new hat.
I’m looking for something like the British army bush/jungle hat, just in green or khaki.
I know that there are hundreds of boonie “style” hats out there, but I’m looking for something high quality that can take repeated use and last, I’ve had £5 copies before and they don’t last.
There are some 50s/60s Brit ones out there but all are in small sizes, I’d need a 58/59cm.
So any suggestions? Key points are:
Bush hat design
Cotton or a cotton mix
High quality
Can be folded and shoved in a pocket
An take getting soaked/dried repeatedly and not fail.

Thanks for reading

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
A Tilley T3 is a good place to start looking :) Does everything you ask for. Patinates well, with those little brass air vent things going green over time

I mentioned a Swanndri Crumpler in an earlier post today. It is pretty good .. too warm for summer, but it might be they are using lighter wool now.

Anyway, both only for town wear if you like that particular portly, retired wilderness guy lost in Waitrose look ... otherwise they are strictly outdoorsy things - where they look just right :)

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
the T3 looks good. I did search for Tilley’s but all I could find were the more built up ones with mesh sections which are nice but not what I’m after.

I’ve got a tarp hat but have found that the black elastic band around the head has perished and now leaves a messy black mark when I wear it.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
@Wildgoose

Have one myself (in M05-camo). These are high quality.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-tst-boonie-hat/51194

448135cde7cf222e0f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CLEM

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have an olney cotton hat I found in a second hand shop, I seem to have miss placed it at the moment, which is a shame as it is one of my favourites. I cannot find one like it online, but a search for olney hats brings up panama style.

I also have a breezy hat, good for ventilation. A jack Murphy hat, bit heavy really. A swandri crushable, bit too warm for summer, but another favourite (got it second hand off here :))

I quite fancy an aukbra hat, I think one of those will be my next hat purchase.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Since I found the tilly hemp hat I have honestly not looked at another hat. https://www.tilley.com/uk_en/th5-hemp-hat.html

I am a hydro chemist and agricultural consultant, and walk 1000's miles across open exposured area every year, this hat has saved me from heat stroke ever since I bought it
Just to prompt the recommendation of this hat, it is now classed as PPE for the area that I work in and a must of field surveys. I used to wear a leather bushcraft style hat, which does see use in rainy weather, but the tilly hemp hat is the main go to

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I looked at the Tilley hemp hat but found the brim too narrow to keep the sun out of my eyes.

It's claimed that cotton crops use more pesticides than any other crop on earth.
Hemp fiber is touted as less impact in soil residues. However the waste biomass is enormous.

There's rain showers here practically all summer, 60+% of each month.
I've got a waxed cotton Outback Trading Kodiak with a very broad brim which suits me fine.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I have a Varusteleka one in M05 camo, the medium should fit you fine. Mine's been washed repeatedly and sprayed with insect repellent and is still doing fine. I've just ordered a green one too.

Reactions: Herman30

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Also note that the T3 is cotton and the T3 Wanderer is cotton with microbial wash to stop it niffin'

I have a T3 plain and it smells of strawberries and summer breezes, but that's because I'm worth it :)

Reactions: Fadcode

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE